Do successful appeal kids cope well at grammar school?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MelW

Do successful appeal kids cope well at grammar school?

Post by MelW »

Just wondered if anyone out there had a child get through on appeal and if they are coping well at grammar school. A small part of me wonders if my son will be ok at grammar as he didn't get the required 11+ score.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MelW

As Guest55 has often posted, very many successful appeal children cope extremely well at GS. Whether it is because the system is flawed and they always deserved the place, or whether it is because, having initially been denied a place, they are more motivated, no one knows.

Funnily enough, some of the ones who struggle are the 141s. Over confidence maybe?

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
MelW

Post by MelW »

Thanks Sally Anne, always a reassuring response! I think sometimes your confidence in your child gets diminished by the knock of them just missing the mark.
sharone

Post by sharone »

Hi MelW

We've been having the same thoughts, and wondered if we were doing the right thing my appealing. However, having talked to our head, and knowing our son, we think that he would flourish at Grammer. Our main concern is whether the kids would discuss what they got in their exams, and tease those that got in through appeal? Has anyone's child ever reported being teased for getting in on appeal?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Funnily enough, some of the ones who struggle are the 141s. Over confidence maybe?
I have a suspicion that it can be because they've been over-tutored to force them through the test whatever the cost, as 'grammar schools are good', whereas they would have better been suited to the middle stream in a good comp.

Meanwhile, even getting a good pass doesn't mean the child will do well - they could become a lazy, sulky teenager, or get obsessed by a hobby / sporting activity to the exclusion of all else (and this can happen with bright, intense children!
Capers
MelW

Post by MelW »

It had also crossed my mind that you might get labelled an 'appeal' candidate. Hopefully by September everyone will be more interested in settling in to school rather than discussing who got what.
xmasguest

Post by xmasguest »

I have four children at different grammars and have never heard of anyone being teased or bullied about their scores - I have also seen many who got through on appeal doing very well indeed.

Post by Guest »

As with xmasguest, I have never heard of children being teased because of 11+ scores. At my daughter's grammar I don't think anyone knows, or cares, what anyone else scored. I know several children at 2 other grammars who got places on appeal and, again, I am pretty sure it has never been any sort of issue. They are all very confident youngsters (although one of them is struggling a bit with the work).

Children are more likely to make judgements based on what they observe for themselves in lessons and tests, although I have not heard of children being teased for low scores. Children who score below average do sometimes get upset themselves though. Getting a level 5 for a piece of English or maths work in my daughter's year 7 form is a bit of an embarrassment I gather. This might be a "girl thing" though and there's no pressure from staff or other girls. Guess it could vary though according to the personalities of the children in a particular form.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Mel,

I felt the same way, after going all out to appeal.
I think it’s natural to feel that way after all the 11+ is designed to pick out the brightest kids.. :?
Ask yourself this:
How many children who passed the 11 plus would have got through on appeal?
An appeal that you have to show consistent high grades and strong evidence that your child will cope well at grammar school.
I think appeal children have to prove themselves more, but that's my opinion.

DD said nobody would ever ask each other their scores, I think it's just accepted that your in grammar school therefore you must have passed the exam.
Besides isn't there more important things to talk about at High school when your 11/12?
I mean who would still be talking about the 11+ exam months later.. :roll:.. OK DD I get the message..

Little story for you..

DD's friend (of sorts) who passed with flying colours and rubbed my DD's nose in it, is really struggling.
DD on the other hand has made me so proud with the A1 grades she keeps getting, (She isn’t happy apparently she wants an A*) and HT awards. She has made lots of wonderful new friends and has been picked for various school sports teams.
Most important of all though is she is extremely happy.

It just goes to show that if you truly believe in your heart that your child belongs in a grammar school, you have to go with it for all it’s worth.

AM
MelW

Post by MelW »

Thanks Appeal Mum, your post is very inspiring. I know he is really bright but have obviously had moments where I ask myself if I am just deluded! Going to pick up Headmasters form this afternoon so fingers crossed it is all good.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now