ColCHS, SHSG or WHSG?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rsturbo0o0o

ColCHS, SHSG or WHSG?

Post by rsturbo0o0o »

I am living in Colchester and my DD score 327.6, what is the chances of entry to ColCHS, SHSG or WHSG? Really not sure what to do, hope someone can advise as her chances going to ColCHS is very slim, but SHSG or WHSG is quite a big journey for her daily.
sleeplessinhalstead

Re: ColCHS, SHSG or WHSG?

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Hi, It is of course worth applying just in case as you never know. I was in the same situation with DD2 last year and spent some time looking at options for travelling to SHSG. The OOC score needed for WHSG was higher than for ColCHS last year so SHSG was the only option. I think SHSG from Colchester would be very difficult. WHSG might be easier, but I think you are more likely to get ColCHs than OOC WHSG.

SHSG wasn't possible for me, there were no buses and train travel via either Marks Tey or Witham, changing at Shenfield for Southend Vic, then a bus was a horrible journey from where I live - the train connection times at Shenfield were not good. The only coach to SHSG was from Wickham Bishops/Witham, leaving at 6.45 am, so meaning I would need to drive there leaving home at 6am. I would suggest checking the timetables and maybe trying out the journey one morning. If you think you can manage to drive to Wickham Bishops for a 6.45am start then it might work for you, I think that would be easier from Colchester than it was for me.

I honestly didn't think it was worth it, however good the school. She would have been exhausted and I felt this might eventually have impacted her studies. DD2 is now very happy and settled in yr 7 at another school and seems to be doing well, early days yet, but I actually feel she may be doing better that DD1 who is at ColCHS. What are your other local options?
rsturbo0o0o

Post by rsturbo0o0o »

I totally understood. Perfectly that she can get a place at ColCHS. But SHSG might be more realistic, however, that means me and my wife will need to start at 7:00am alternatively as a scarified, but I am sure it worth by comparing the results of the local schools obtained recently. Any more suggestion?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

With a score like that I would apply for ColCHSG but then look seriously at my finances and if possible try for a scholarship at St Marys or one of the Ipswich Independant schools. The cost of getting her to Southend each day from Colchester will be significant, a local indi with a scholarship or bursary may not work out much more. St Marys feed several bright girls into the Colchester grammar school sixth forms each year. You can also choose to remain on the continued interest list for CoCHSG should a place come up mid year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SHSG is a great school, but seriously not worth putting your child through such a journey five days a week for upwards of five years, just for the sake of having her go to a grammar school. I would suspect that unless you moved to somewhere allowing a more sensible journey to school, within a year or two, someone else's DD would be benefiting from an in-year vacancy at SHSG, as your DD, and probably the whole family, became totally fed up with the travelling. And I hesitate to 'bang on' about such things, but there is more to school than the purely academic - extra-curricular activities also help make the great reputations of these schools. Not to mention the school trips which often leave in the early hours - twice in recent months DD has had to be at school before 4am - and return late at night. Not compulsory to go on them, of course, but a little sad never to be able to go because you live too far away?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rsturbo0o0o

Post by rsturbo0o0o »

Honestly no body would like to do a trip for 100 miles daily, but the nearest best option locally for us is Stanway Secondary other than the Grammars. Giving up 2 hours sleep to go for SHSG or not, I still don't know what to choose. Private schools also not an options to us either financially.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, I wouldn't contemplate a journey over 45 minutes to an hour one way, for myself as a daily commute and certainly not for my kids. In my opinion it is not fair on the child as, regardless of what parents believe or agree or promise, that child will not be able to participate fully in the school day/life.

The transition from Y6 to Y7 is well documented as being one of the toughest transitions in a young persons life - the school day is longer any way, they will have on average an hour or more of more challenging homework a night, they have to make new friends, learn new subjects, meet new teachers, work out the geography of the school, get on a bus - often for the first time, be with lots more children of different ages and backgrounds and be the bottom of the pile rather than the top of the heap (ie bottom year in big school, rather than top year in primary.)

And that is not factoring in being at a GS - that is, the above applies to any school. And I haven't begun to list the lunchtime clubs, the after school clubs - things that are expected of them, not just the things they want to do - the friendship groups, the parties....all these things happen - but if your child has a long journey at the beginning and end of the day, they will be exhausted - literally exhausted - and won't want to, or won't be able to, get involved fully.

Remember, it's JUST a school. A bright child, with the right support will do well anywhere. A bright child who is constantly exhausted may well not.
KB

Post by KB »

Stanway seems to have lows and highs. Is it a trough atm?
Have you checked admissions for Honeywood in Coggeshall?

I have no info to compare outcomes at Southend area GS with eg Stanway but because Southend area GS take a much wider band than so called Colchester 'super selectives' there will be a good number of children at Colchester comprehensives who would be at GS if they lived IC for Southend area schools.
The point being that the top sets of some Colchester comprehensives won't be that much different in terms of pace, academic expectations.
I'm not criticising/ suggesting a particular school, merely I think reinforcing the view that there may not be sufficient reason to undertake such a killer commute.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are really determined for your DD to come to school in Southend, why not move here? :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gugumum

Post by gugumum »

We are live in Southend, but I work near Colchester. I drive 1 hour each way. The public transports are not really convenient between Southend and Colchester. If you have time and willing to do the drivings, I don't think it is huge problem for your DD. My DDs just sleep in the car.
My DD got 335.9. I was planning to move to Colchester to make things easier. Due to the result, we have to go to ColCHS's meeting and see. If she can't go to ColCHS, we will stay in Southend and go to SHSG.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now