Judd with 404?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stillworried2014

Judd with 404?

Post by Stillworried2014 »

Hi please will those of you who have children who passed, post scores if you don't mind? We are out of area so Judd is our only chance but my Head Teacher is not sure that this score of 404 will be enough to get in. He said that the statement sent out by the Heads means nothing as they do not know how the scores will pan out and that they are just worried that people will not apply. He also said there are usually lots of children who pass with full marks and after them, we do not know how quickly the scores will fall. I cannot believe that this stress and worry will now be with us until next March. Why did we have to be the guinea pigs? :(

Sorry to sound so negative, I know my son did brilliantly and I am really proud of him and feel so bad for those children and parents who worked equally hard and did not get the result they wanted I just cannot bear this worry for another 5 months and hope that if I get an idea of how many passed with full marks it might help.

Thank you for a great forum, I have been lurking for months!
hermanmunster

Re: Judd with 404?

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the problem with trying to second guess from scores on forums is that they are really from a very small sample of people compared with how many take the test.

Amongst people who have done well, many may opt to go somewhere else, they may not live that near and have another school to look at there, they may opt for indies. You just don't know where the cut off is.

If you want Judd then you put it as your first choice, if you don't get it then your second choice becomes your first and you may be offered that, providing you are eligible for a place.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I would find it hard to believe that 404 won't be good enough, but I can definitely relate to the feeling of worry.
I thought I would be relieved with a pass and my DD did better than I expected, but just not sure how to manage the next 5 months of uncertainty.

Not sure my DDs score is that relevant but she got 381 and we are hoping that will be enough for TOGs.
All we can do is fill in the form and then hopefully forget about it for the next few months.
I think this is a stressful time for any parents applying for Secondary schools - Grammar or not.
It's so hard to know which school is best for your child and even when you make that choice, often there is no guarantee they will get a place.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

If you are out of area you could also try for Skinners which is also superselective . Historically the cut off has been a few points lower than for Judd.
pilot1

Post by pilot1 »

My son scored 381 he was predicted 419/420! however with the statements issued from Judd and Skinners I have no idea what to think but am very much hoping he can get into one of them. I think we will have to wait until March.....
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I suspect that someone will be putting in FOI requests to Kent in order to get more details as to how many children scored each mark, and if this gets published then you may have an idea before March, but possibly not before the CAF deadline which oculd be 31 October if you are OOC.
mystery

Post by mystery »

You can put your own FOI request in - but likelihood is they won't answer in time for the CAF if that is what you are hoping for.

My guess is that will be alright. But that is very much a guess.

The pass standardised score has radically changed this year suggesting that the passing children are all strung on out on each paper on the distribution curve between 106 and 140 so the superselective "cut off" surely has to be quite a bit lower this year as the number of passing children will not be radically different from last year.
worriedmum76

Post by worriedmum76 »

my son got 384

128 reasoning
134 english
122 maths

really surprised with his math score as he is usually excellent. dont know if this is any good at all for judd?
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

mystery wrote:You can put your own FOI request in - but likelihood is they won't answer in time for the CAF if that is what you are hoping for.

My guess is that will be alright. But that is very much a guess.

The pass standardised score has radically changed this year suggesting that the passing children are all strung on out on each paper on the distribution curve between 106 and 140 so the superselective "cut off" surely has to be quite a bit lower this year as the number of passing children will not be radically different from last year.
DH was trying to explain to me last night how it is possible that the pass mark is so much lower on a standardised scale.
I have a Maths degree and I really can't see how it makes sense!
Maybe I was asleep in that lecture! LOL!
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

worriedmum76 wrote:my son got 384

128 reasoning
134 english
122 maths

really surprised with his math score as he is usually excellent. dont know if this is any good at all for judd?
My DDs scores were quite similar to this including 122 for Maths. I would have expected her to get close to a maximum score in Maths.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now