Dartford Grammar for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mama H

Dartford Grammar for Boys

Post by Mama H »

This is our first choice but we fall within category 3 we have been advised.

Cat 1 for LA looked after children apparently the most they get is one within this category.

Cat 2 - Catchment area children 90 spaces available for these.

Cat 3 - Other children. This is down to scores and another 90 spaces available.

Has anyone got an idea what the lowest possible score they would accept be this year. Any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks
sandred

Re: Dartford Grammar for Boys

Post by sandred »

I have 2 boys at DGS and the 3rd is hoping to go. We too are in the 3rd section of the admissions criteria.
I spoke to Dr Kingham at DGS earlier today and she said it is impossible to know at this stage what the cut off will be. A lot depends on who applies and what their scores are. Once 180 places are filled (90 out of area), following the admissions criteria, well that is where the cut off score will fall (416 last year, 418 before that, 414 and 411 in other years).
She did say that information from KCC suggests that there are not a huge number with scores over 400 and that 250 odd children passed in the Dartford and Gravesham area. The 3 schools nearest to us (Dartford, Wilmington and Gravesend) have all increased numbers for 2015 intake, so that will affect the cut off too. She did say that he cut off will without a doubt be significantly lower.
All I think we can do is put them first and then be patient until March. It will be a long few months!
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

Thanks.

Thinking if strategically it makes sense to have a super selective such as Judd as first choice. This should increase once's chance as there is no numbers ring fenced with children within catchment area.
xiygx

Post by xiygx »

No... I think strategically it makes sense to put Dartford Grammar as a first choice because if the OOC intake is going to be 90 (compared to 16 last year), there is more likely chance of getting accepted. I'd be putting DGS as a first choice for my DS.
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

16 last year, am I missing something or is it a typo? Thanks
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I really do think that this year more than ever, you have to put schools in the order you want them, with your top preference first. It is impossible to even start to guess cut off scores and the schools have no idea what order you put them in. It would be gutting to miss out on a school you prefer because you tried to second guess the scores, only to find you would have secured a place if you had put it as first preference!
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

I agree but think things would be a lot clearer if we were a over 400 scorer or am I just a pessimist.
Midas

Post by Midas »

We are in category 2. Still not sure if score will be enough for DGS. Will put it down as first choice and wait for March.
xiygx

Post by xiygx »

Yes. 134 from local zones and children looked after by the local authority, and 16 from OOC. Someone, somewhere on the forum has done a detailed breakdown.
sandred

Post by sandred »

Dr Kingham did say there were a lot of passes in the catchment area last year, but she said more than 16 out of county places (can't remember exact figures). The 90 OOC should help. Some people think they have done it to take more kids from the London area, but she said they wanted to give Kent kids, out of area, a fairer chance as the Dartford catchment is relatively small. We live in Hartley and are in no man's land re grammars really. Gravesend, Dartford and Wilmington are all about 7-8 miles away and are our nearest grammars. This year we've been been added to the catchment area for Wilmington, so at least we have the chance of a grammar. In many years gone by kids passed, but got offered the local comp. Gutting after all that hard work.
As for the score, it appears there are no where near as many over 400 passes this year, so I think we may be surprised where the cut off ends up falling
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now