Head teacher's ranking

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hopeful mum!

Head teacher's ranking

Post by Hopeful mum! »

Just found out the head teacher's order of suitability for my daughter.
She is ranked 10th out of 60 with 32 being ranked 1-3 as follows-

Rank 1 - 2 who both passed
Rank 2 - 16 of which 4 passed (3,4,5 and 6th on his list)
Then a gap of 3 not passing and then my daughter.
Rank 3 - 14 of which 0 passed

Does this mean he is being overly optimistic in his predictions and the fact that she is ranked tenth won't carry much weight???

So much to think about!!!! I'll be glad when it's all over!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, HM.

The head did very well with numbers 1-6, but you're right, I'm afraid the rest of the list does look over-optimistic ........
Etienne
Hopeful mum!

Head teacher's ranking

Post by Hopeful mum! »

Hi Etienne,

In view of the fact that he was accurate for the top 6, are the panel still likely to consider his order of suitability not very convincing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suspect so ....... although number 7 is not in a bad position, being on the borderline.
Etienne
guest63

Post by guest63 »

What would you conclude about a boy not being placed in the order of suitability when the head says he is in the top 25% in Year for Maths and English. His year 5 Cats were VR 115 Quant 126 Nvr 128. It is a highly academic year and over 63% of the year group qualified. The head has said she only ranked down to a 2,1 and ranked 34 out of 60. 3 she ranked didn't qualify and 3 she didn't rank did. Oh and he is predicted level 5's for Science and Maths and English
Is there any chance of appealing and would you have to explain why they weren't included in the oos. He is on school action because of issues with spelling his last test he was given a Standard Age Score of 89 which is in the bottom 25% nationally and has explained why we think he didn't qualify with 121. Because of this problem we are having him assessed by and ed psych as it will obviously be an issue whichever school he goes to. When asked to explain she said he wouldn't cope with the pressure at grammer school!!!!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Depending on the Ed Psych's report, I do think it's worth appealing. Clearly the omission from the O. of S. is something that will need discussing with an appeal panel.

For the present you don't have to go into too much detail about your case. You could even write just "Details of case to follow".

If you decide to go ahead, I advise you to submit your full case and the Ed Psych report at least 9 days before the hearing.
Etienne
Guest63

Post by Guest63 »

Would you need to speculate about reasons why they were left off the oos in your appeal letter or best to leave it until asked by the panel. What if they didn't ask about this issue?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'd leave it off for the moment. Say as little as possible. Yours is not a straightforward case (!), and I think the best time to decide how to present it is when you have the Ed Psych report.

It is inconceivable that the O. of S. wouldn't be discussed at your hearing!
Etienne
shazzagirl

Post by shazzagirl »

Have got the report back from ed psych. He is definitely dyslexic with poor phonological processing and poor working memory and spelling and with a high distraction index due to his thinking skills profile. However he has very high processing speed and reading comprehension skills in top 12%. He qualifies for extra time in his gcse's and Sats.

Have received the oos 35 children were ranked, 18 as 1,1 in which 10 children did not score above 131 and 2 under 121. The next 14 were ranked as either 2,1 or 2,2 , 2 children scored below 121 and 4 were above 131 and finally out of 3 children she ranked with a 3,2 1 got 120 1got 132 and the last child on the list got 131. Oh and 5 children she didn't rank also passed. I feel this list is fairly inaccurate. children ranked 7th,14th,21st 24th 25th and 33rd failed to qualify yet those ranked 34 and 35 qualified with 132 and 131. Is this a strong point to cast doubt on accuracy of this oos. Althought it still doesn't explain why he wasn't on it?
confused_and_tired

Post by confused_and_tired »

If I understand you correctly then 29 of the 35 ranked passed. At 83% I would think this is very accurate. The O.O.S is the schools ranking of the childrens suitability for grammar and doesn't take into account the effect of coaching on the scores (nor should it!). Perhaps, I've misunderstood but I would be interested to know what panels look for in the O.O.S
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now