Missed out by 6 marks in Maidstone advice on Invicta appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eddas

Missed out by 6 marks in Maidstone advice on Invicta appeal

Post by Eddas »

Hi, my daughter got 326 overall. 113 English 113 Reasoning and 100 in maths.

We are thinking of an appeal for Invicta (or MGGS but she prefers Invicta)

The headteacher did appeal but was unsuccessful. Will this mean less likelihood of success?

Her end of year 5 report gave her a level 5 in reading, 4a in writing (apparently nearly a 5 but ust not quite) and I think 4b in maths.

Does anyone have any advice on the possibility of success, yes I know we won't know for sure until we go for it, but I would like to know if we should put ourselves through the process.

Any advice is gratefully received.
hermanmunster

Re: Missed out by 6 marks in Maidstone advice on Invicta app

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Eddas and welcome

I'm sorry you didn't get the mark you hoped for, there will be some people who have experience of appeals for those schools who will no doubt be around later. Meantime can I suggest you have a read of this section which explains a lot about appeals:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stressedpansy

Post by stressedpansy »

I would like similar advice if anyone has any experience of appealling to MGGS (our only Grammar choice). My daughter scored

Maths 104
English 118
Reasoning 112
Aggregate:334

Failing by 2 marks on just the maths is sooooo frustrating! Year 5 levels were reading 4a, writing 4b and maths 4a. We don't yet know if there was a HT appeal (we suspect not as the head doesn't seem very pro grammar). Can anyone advise if the appeal panel is aimed directly at the school you choose or is it more general that see parents for all schools? I would also appreciate any advice of anyone who has appealed to MGGS in particular. Many thanks!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

The appeal will consist of 2 elements. Non qualification see this bit of the site here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which can be the same for every GS you appeal for AND over subscription http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in which you have to give reasons why ONLY that school will cater for your childs needs. You could say they are going to be high level 5 across the board and this is their high level cat scores for the non-qual bit but you then need to find a reason why only Invicta will cater for their needs; what does Invicta have academically that the others schools don't that means you daughter needs to go there? Generally the fact that it is nearer/ siblings go there etc is not a good enough reason.

There is loads of info on those links and once you have read that if you have specific queries you can start a thread in the appeals section.

Good luck
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Eddas wrote:Hi, my daughter got 326 overall. 113 English 113 Reasoning and 100 in maths.

We are thinking of an appeal for Invicta (or MGGS but she prefers Invicta)

The headteacher did appeal but was unsuccessful. Will this mean less likelihood of success?

Her end of year 5 report gave her a level 5 in reading, 4a in writing (apparently nearly a 5 but ust not quite) and I think 4b in maths.

Does anyone have any advice on the possibility of success, yes I know we won't know for sure until we go for it, but I would like to know if we should put ourselves through the process.

Any advice is gratefully received.
So sorry to hear your dd was so close :( I'm not experienced with regards appeal.. but have read many a useful thread on this forum. With this in mind, i would say definitely try appealing (if you are happy to go through the process). I read on another thread that a couple of places were given on appeal last year to girls who had not passed their 11 plus. In your favour is the fact your dd DID get the overall score so FC this could put her higher up than other appeals. Hopefully you have a supportive HT (sounds like you have due to the fact they did try and appeal, so obviously think she would cope with Grammar). Good luck :)
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

thanks hermanmunster, I have begun my research, think it may take me a while!

anotherworriedmum, I will need to seriously consider the point about why Invicta is better than our nearest high school. We couldn't say it was closer as it isn't, there is no sibling link (she is eldest and hs younger brother anyway)

stressedpansy, sorry to hear you're in a similar position, it's not a nice place to be! why is MGGS your only choice? For us MGGS is marginally closer than Invicta (0.1 of a mile difference I think) but whether that is relevant for an appeal I don't know. We are basically 3 miles from each so not far. I think our nearest high school is a mile away.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now