CAF advise please: Reason for preference

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tabbycat

CAF advise please: Reason for preference

Post by tabbycat »

On the CAF form, there is a section to state the reason for preferring each school. Has this have any influence on their decision for allocation? Do the actual schools get to read this section? I cannot find any info on the information booklet on this. :cry: Is it worth mentioning why our DC is so suited to the school or are they just looking for the confirmation of their faith, sibling etc?
DebsB

Re: CAF advise please: Reason for preference

Post by DebsB »

I think the LEA sometimes use that if people don't put enough sensible choices on their form and have to be allocated whatever they have left from somewhere else because you haven't got a place at any of your choices. I don't think what you put there goes to the school. But I could be wrong.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

It is used in case a child should be in a higher admission category and it isn't clear from the form.
An example would be a parent ticks "no" when asked if the Year 6 pupil has a sibling at the school.
The parent then writes in the comments box "Fred has no siblings at this school but both of the children we foster attend and we would like them all in the same school"

This allows the council to see that Fred does in fact have 2 siblings at the school (because foster children living as part of the family count as siblings) and the council then place Fred's application in the sibling pile (assuming that school has a sibling category of course)

Another example would be "Fred is a wheelchair user but does not have a statement. This is the only school within 10 miles that has wide enough doorways" This then points the council to any medical priority in place and allows them to look at evidence / chase up evidence for the medical category and possibly place Fred in a priority group.

Nothing a parent writes about liking the school, friendships or great science labs though gets considered as none of that forms part of the admissions criteria.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think in some parts of the country people use it to express a preference for a single gender school - but otherwise it is used as loopylou says. I don't think many people put anything in it!
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

That makes a really good sense now. Thank you very much for your advise. We shall save all the pleading till the appeal!! :mrgreen: