Query about marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

santanur

Query about marks

Post by santanur »

I am new in this forum. I came to know that 50 mins Maths test and 50 mins NVR and 20 mins VR. But how many questions are there and what are the marks for them.I am asking for Alty girls.Is the any creative writing for Alty girls?
hermanmunster

Re: Query about marks

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Santanur and welcome,

Sorry it is a bit busy on the forum over the last few days as we have results coming in in several regions! There is a little on the forum here : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... rd-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about you local schools with some links that may help! Have a read and then am sure someone will be able to answer your questions more fully ! good Luck!
rocky_robin

Post by rocky_robin »

Santanur

2 things really

Firstly, the 3 existing tests are all rounded up and "standardised" so each score is out of 141 regardless of the number of questions

I think this year
Maths 50 questions in 50 minutes
VR 80 questions in 50 minutes
NVR 40 questions in 20 minutes

Plus the 20 minute Creative Writing task used to determine whether borderline scores should be upgraded on review

However, the aim was to change the tests to remove the NVR and replace with an English comprehension as this was considered a better gauge of a pupil's natural ability and how they would perform at the school rather than the NVR test that they could be coached for
The change did not go through as the Adjudicator decided that opposition to the change on the grounds that it was detrimental to those pupils who did not speak English as their main language was justified

The intended change, which may go through in time for next year would be

Maths 50 questions in 50 minutes
VR 80 questions in 50 minutes
English 45 questions in 56 minutes
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

I contacted AGGS a couple of days ago about next years requirements. Admissions said they thought it unlikely to change from NVR before next year although they would like to move to English when they can. I suggest everyone covers all 4 areas for both schools to be secure.
rocky_robin

Post by rocky_robin »

fatsals wrote:I contacted AGGS a couple of days ago about next years requirements. Admissions said they thought it unlikely to change from NVR before next year although they would like to move to English when they can. I suggest everyone covers all 4 areas for both schools to be secure.
Agreed

Our son's school ran a sort of exam class but focussed on the changed version of the exam and had a mad couple of months from June onwards when they realised the change would not be made

We're kicking ourselves a bit as our son has always been good at comprehensions yet he struggled with NVR which is all about 7 or 8 techniques which can be picked up with a bit of practice. He got there toward the end but was probably not as proficient as he could have been with a few more months or so

Best to cover all bases and see what happens

Will be interesting to see if there are any appeals based on what happened with the Alty exams and also to see what effect the change to the Sale exam providers has had
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now