Croydon High Vs Old Palace...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

spoon123

Croydon High Vs Old Palace...

Post by spoon123 »

Sorry could not find any information with my Search, happy to be corrected. We are looking at options for Private schools for our DD, any parents who have or know more about these 2 schools in Croydon. Any pointers or feedback greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
musicmum

Re: Croydon High Vs Old Palace...

Post by musicmum »

Hi Spoon,

They're both excellent schools. My DD sat the entrance exams for both and is now in Year 7 at Old Palace, and loves it. She's quite academic but also has lots of extracurricular interests - she's into dance, gymnastics, music and drama - and it's a perfect fit for her.

Both sets of entrance exams included English, Maths and VR, and Old Palace included some NVR as well.

The interview procedures for the two schools were slightly different. At OP we were interviewed as a family by the Head for about 20 minutes, then DD stayed with the Head on her own for another 20 minutes. They talked about DD's interests, and DD had to answer some reasoning questions and comment on a painting.

At Croydon High DH and I had a brief chat with the Head while DD went with a teacher and two other girls for an assessment in a group. They were given some word puzzles and Sudoko. DD didn't have an individual interview and couldn't remember being asked anything about her interests.

DD was offered an academic scholarship with an additional award for maths at OP, and a place but no scholarship at CH, so we went for OP and have been very pleased with our choice. The pastoral care has been excellent, DD settled in quickly and is very contented.

Good luck with your choice - PM me if you like :)
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

Many Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
musicmum

Post by musicmum »

Just over 80 I think. They started with about 85 but one or two then left because grammar school places came up - one girl in DD's form left after two weeks to take up a place at Newstead Wood.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now