Selection Review/Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

Selection Review/Appeal?

Post by heartmum »

Back here again .. with a non-qualification score (only know the old system so I can't gauge the scoring this time), not sure the best option. Review or Appeal?

DC is oldest in year - 5C Maths, 5C Reading, 4B+ writing, reading age 12 yrs, spelling age 13.04 yrs.

I would like to PM a couple of points.
Last edited by heartmum on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Re: Selection Review/Appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back! :)
114 would probably have been viewed as below borderline under the old system. I think it's a better score under the new system!

Review or Appeal?
    • We never advise one route rather than another on the forum, because there are no easy answers. We can only say “Whatever you do will be a bit of a gamble – just be aware of all the issues which no one else will be telling you about”.

I’m afraid if you go straight to appeal, and it doesn’t work out, you’ll be saying “If only we had gone to review.”
      And if you go to review and it doesn’t work out, you’ll be saying “If only we had gone straight to appeal”!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Another question - are there any other scores you can request from Bucks CC? I know in the old system you could apply for the raw score to see where they went wrong, but this new system completely confuses me!
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Although you can request a remark, I have not found them to be of much use at all.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You can find the Buckinghamshire policy on remarks here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi Sally-Anne, it was not so much a remark of the paper but more of a breakdown of the scores, or is it the only scores we can obtain from Bucks CC are just the scores listed on the form. Is there no way of obtaining raw score of the test, i.e. Test 1 - VR 15 right out of 25, Test 2 - Maths 10 right out of 18 etc.?

If you base DCs score on the top score you mentioned in a previous post it put DC in top 39% (based on weighted score) but obviously more detail would help if we decide to review/appeal.

Also looking at the scores I am really confused as whether the scoring shows DCs strengths (best in maths/NVR, weaker in Verbal) and due to the larger section of the test 50% being verbal DC would have been at a disadvantage - can I PM these scores to you/Etienne for help/advice.

Hope this makes sense... :shock:
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Etienne wrote:You can find the Buckinghamshire policy on remarks here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- thanks Etienne, your post crossed with mine - will take a look :)
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

With the old test, because we knew what the question types were, a remark and analysis could produce some interesting information. For example, a child might be poor at Codes, which linked to a pre-existing visual impediment.

With the new test we don't know exactly what the types of question were, so you can't make the same link.

I've seen around 8 remarks, and despite my best efforts, I can prove absolutely nothing from them.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just to add:

If you were to make a request for raw scores under the Data Protection Act, Bucks would probably forward it to CEM, and I think it likely that CEM would have to agree to release of the scores.

However, take note of what Sally-Anne says.
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi Sally-Anne/Etienne, thanks for your speedy responses - as always :D

From another post, I see that if I apply for remark (although not expecting a difference in score) they show the raw score for each section. It is a shame that it is not broken down further as DCs weak area is comprehension (slow reader) and I know that DC was still carefully reading through the text, didn't want to miss anything :roll: and then realised the time was suddenly running out and so rushed it!
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now