Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eddas

Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Post by Eddas »

I have also posted this in the 'Kent' topic, but I didn't realise there is a seperate section for appeals so thought i'd post here too.

Hi, my daughter got 326 overall. 113 English 113 Reasoning and 100 in maths.

We are thinking of an appeal for Invicta (or MGGS but she prefers Invicta)

The headteacher did appeal but was unsuccessful. Will this mean less likelihood of success?

Her end of year 5 report gave her a level 5 in reading, 4a in writing (apparently nearly a 5 but ust not quite) and I think 4b in maths.

Does anyone have any advice on the possibility of success, yes I know we won't know for sure until we go for it, but I would like to know if we should put ourselves through the process.

Any advice is gratefully received.
tigger2

Re: Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Post by tigger2 »

Eddas wrote:I have also posted this in the 'Kent' topic, but I didn't realise there is a seperate section for appeals so thought i'd post here too.

Hi, my daughter got 326 overall. 113 English 113 Reasoning and 100 in maths.

We are thinking of an appeal for Invicta (or MGGS but she prefers Invicta)

The headteacher did appeal but was unsuccessful. Will this mean less likelihood of success?

Her end of year 5 report gave her a level 5 in reading, 4a in writing (apparently nearly a 5 but ust not quite) and I think 4b in maths.

Does anyone have any advice on the possibility of success, yes I know we won't know for sure until we go for it, but I would like to know if we should put ourselves through the process.

Any advice is gratefully received.
Hi Eddas
I have more experience of appeals in West Kent but can probably give you a couple of points to think about until an Invicta expert comes along.

Firstly, if you really want Invicta do put that as your first choice on your scaf. You have until March to think about whether or not to appeal. I would say that it is worth appealing.

Secondly, your dd's ht did apply for her case to be reviewed. If you haven't done so already it is worth asking for a copy of the review form and you will see why the panel did not uphold the review. This may help you in a possible appeal . The fact that there was a review is encouraging. Ht's only tend to do a couple of reviews every year so he /she clearly thought your dd would do well in a gs school.

I may be wrong here but I think that last year Invicta was under subscribed. It may be worth a call to Invicta to ask how many appeals were successful last year and ask their advice. Probably a good idea to wait until after half term because admissions officers won't be so busy with parents enquiries after the scaf deadline has passed. If this is your first choice I would ask your ht if they would support an appeal- they have already supported a review so I hope they will.

My advice to anyone appealing is not to tell your dc that you are appealing unless you really have to. Knowing that you are appealing doesn't help dc's to come to terms with the school they will be most likely offered. I know that is difficult though if its your dc begging you to appeal (this happened to us with our ds :roll: ). There is lots of advice and support on this forum so I would say fill in the form, get your ht on side and then give yourself a bit of time off before preparing for appeal xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

tigger2 wrote:My advice to anyone appealing is not to tell your dc that you are appealing unless you really have to. Knowing that you are appealing doesn't help dc's to come to terms with the school they will be most likely offered. I know that is difficult though if its your dc begging you to appeal (this happened to us with our ds :roll: ).
Wise words! We've added this point to the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Thanks four replies. Unfortunately dd already knows we are considering appealing, but we have said that is very unlikely to succeed (which we hope isn't the case) but to prepare her we have said she needs to fully expect to go to the high school we choose.

The HT appeal result basically just said 'we assess her as suitable for high school' It was a 1/2 sentence answer. The HT appealed on the basis that she reached the pass mark overall and missed maths very narrowly. They saw her English assessment and all her year 5 books.

I am most confused currently about which schools to put in what order. Dd's preferred GS would be Invicta with MGGS a 2nd, from what I can gather Invicta are more likely to accept an appeal. But I don't want to give her less chance of getting her choice of high school place. Basically where we live one school is closest and we'll likely put that first of the high school choices. My question would be should I put

GS
1st choice (and nearest) high school
GS
2nd choice high school

or another variation?

Is there somewhere on here I can find specific guidance on this?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

You need to the put the schools in order of preference on SCAF.

So if Invicta is your first choice put that first and MGSG is your second choice put that 2nd. You aren't eligible for grammar school so your 2nd or 3rd choice (if you put two grammars) will become your first choice and if you eligible for this is the school you will be allocated.
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

thanks twinkles, so if we choose the high school that is our nearest school and put that third after the two grammar schools we should get that?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Yes, if that is your first preference high school (comp) for your DD and you fit the criteria for that school.

Your 1st choice on SCAF which will be a grammar will be ignored as you aren't eligible for a place. So your 2nd choice grammar will jump up the list and become your 1st choice, this will also be ignored as again you aren't eligible and so your 3rd choice school (comp) will become your first choice. It is advised to put 4 choices down just in case as if for some reason you don't get your 1st choice comp and haven't put any other schools down you could be allocated a school anywhere in Kent!
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

The only thing on my mind over the last few days has been if we should appeal. The more people we speak to the more confusing it gets. I'm now doubting my gut instict which is to appeal. Someone please give me a virtual slap because I know if we don't try I will regret it. If it isn't successful I know she'll be fine at the high school. But there's still something nagging my brain. Damn it why couldn't the spread of her marks have been slightly different! !!
confusedmum.com

Post by confusedmum.com »

All I can say is that, I know of three girls last year who did not pass the 11+ who got in on appeal to Invicta. I have a feeling at the open morning, the school encouraged people to appeal as they were putting on an extra class.

Will you always wonder 'What If ... ' and how would you feel if you heard of someone winning an appeal who was in a similiar situation to yourself and you had not given it a go.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Whilst I agree with ConfusedMum wholeheartedly do remember that you have until March to decide what to do re a possible appeal. Of course it doesn't hurt to let your ht and class teacher know that you will probably appeal but perhaps you need a bit of time to really think it over?

I understand the horrible frustration of the scores but that part is over and you need to think of the best plan for your dc. If you are happy with your non selective choice that is excellent news. I would add the grammar to the scaf which will give you the option to appeal in March.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now