Failed Kent Test - worth an appeal to Wilmington Boys?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CookieNutmeg

Failed Kent Test - worth an appeal to Wilmington Boys?

Post by CookieNutmeg »

Hello I'm new to this site but I would appreciate some advice please my DS results were

Maths 120
reasoning 105
English 99

total of 324

He had really hoped to get a place at Wilmington Boys as his sister is at the Girls Grammer and is thriving. I have not spoken to the Head Teacher yet but I'm sure a Head Teachers appeal was not made for him, he attends a catholic primary. His year 5 levels were Reading 4b Writing 4c and Maths 4a.

He is desperately upset, he's always been on the top table for Maths but found English more of a challenge. This week he's taken a practice SATs test at school and made a level 5 in Maths, not yet marked English. Is this the kind of evidence I could use in an appeal or does it have to refer to levels before the 11+ was taken? Also when does the appeal happen? I think Wilmington Boys is over subscribed so have no idea if we would stand a chance in an appeal, but I feel I owe it to him to try. Any advice would be welcome.
twinkles

Re: Failed Kent Test - worth an appeal to Wilmington Boys?

Post by twinkles »

Appeals aren't held until April onwards so you have plenty of time to gather lots of evidence that your son has improved greatly since taking the test and yes, CATS and SATS results are good evidence of this. Is your HT willing to back your appeal?

If the school is oversubscribed you will need to appeal for over-sub and non-quali so try and find out how many appeals there were last year, how many were successful, how many over PAN they have gone in previous years.

Read all the info on this site about appeals and ask lots of questions, I am sure others will be along who have experience of this school with more info/help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
CookieNutmeg

Post by CookieNutmeg »

Thank you so much. Just need to focus now, it's been an emotional few days. If we have to appeal against over subscription does this mean that OC children who have passed would be given priority? I don't think we stand much of a chance. I will contact the school directly, would they tell me on which basis appeals were successful? As in non qualification or over subscription?

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CookieNutmeg wrote:Thank you so much. Just need to focus now, it's been an emotional few days. If we have to appeal against over subscription does this mean that OC children who have passed would be given priority?
I suppose it's possible - but different people will be putting forward different cases, and it's up to the appeal panel to decide how much weight to give to each.
I will contact the school directly, would they tell me on which basis appeals were successful? As in non qualification or over subscription?
Not sure if they'd venture an opinion - the statistics normally show only whether appeals were successful or not, not the basis on which they were allowed.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now