Should we review? Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dollydripmat

Should we review? Bucks

Post by Dollydripmat »

Sadly my daughter didn't pass and scored 115 , we as parents are proud of her regardless of our reassurance she is devastated , we feel we should review/appeal. She was tutored, worked very hard, extremely concientious , never had to nag to do work, she was really focused she wanted to go to BHS. Her four friends have all passed and she feel awful as you can imagine and she was only 10 at then end of august, I feel this emotional turmoil is so hard for her to bear.

She has always been a solid academic child her recent Y5 scores 5A - reading, 5B writing, 5C, maths . Reading age of 15yrs.

Her 11+ score sheet showed that she just missed the pass mark in all three areas I'm don't understand enough to know wether that's a help or a hindrance, any help would be much appreciated to a very tearful mummy. ***
Last edited by Dollydripmat on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Re: Should we review? Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

Go and see the Head. How supportive will the reference be? What KS2 predictions will s/he give?

If there is lots of strong evidence a review might work but an appeal gives you longer to collect your evidence.

Read the guidance

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=29733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thankyou G55 x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Dollydripmat wrote:....... we as parents are proud of her
Rightly so! :)
regardless of our reassurance she is devastated , we feel we should review/appeal. She was tutored, worked very hard, extremely concientious , never had to nag to do work, she was really focused she wanted to go to BHS. Her four friends have all passed and she feel awful as you can imagine and she was only 10 at then end of august, I feel this emotional turmoil is so hard for her to bear.
It's a cruel system.
She has always been a solid academical child her recent Y5 scores 5A - reading, 5B writing, 5C, maths . Reading age of 15yrs.
Good! I would have liked to see some high reasoning test scores as well (CATs, for example.)
Her 11+ score sheet showed that she just missed the pass mark in all three areas I'm don't understand enough to know wether that's a help or a hindrance, any help would be much appreciated to a very tearful mummy.
I don't think it's a hindrance. What matters is the alternative academic evidence.
For the range of academic evidence, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In your other post you wrote:
    • I've got no special circumstances
The problem with a review would be that they say they expect exceptional circumstances (although I find it rather difficult to believe that every single review has exceptional circumstances!).

You need to weigh up carefully the pros and cons:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks Etiene

Yes unfortunately i just don't have any exceptional circumstances , she said she was fine not nervous at all and found the exam ok, not awful, or easy. Unless she was nervous within but wasn't showing it. However I doubt that's a contender for exceptional circumstances ??? Xx
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Dolly, you say she is an end of August birthday? Don't suppose she arrived early by any chance…? I believe, though I stand to be corrected by Etienne or Sally-Anne, that a child who 'should' have been born into the next school year is a factor which some appeal panels will take into account. Just a thought.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It depends on how early. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Blueberrypie

Post by Blueberrypie »

Helpful remarks there Rob, My DD has just failed her 11+, she was 4 months premature, i would never have considered using that. Sorry if it doesn't help you Dolly. :(
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks Rob,
Sadly we was 2 days over arriving 27Aug!!! But thanks for trying find a way that might be of help to us.

She's a little better today , still quite teary when she talks about it or mentions her friends. Im still a blubbering wreck, (out of sight !) I know in a few days it won't feel as raw, just feels tough at the moment. X
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh bless you both

Come Monday your girls teacher will be there at the ready and will sort out a time to discuss a review plan.

Good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now