help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aliya

11plus appeal

Post by aliya »

hi my daughter (after being tutored by me at home) has unfortunastely not made it,but, she has got 118 and 120, at around the time of her 11plus she had contracted scabies from paternal family and was unable to deliver due to severe irritation of itchiness,i also had a baby sometime in August(6th), my fifth, i have full support of the headteacher and the tutors, she has a "2" ranking and 11th out of the 62 pupils in year 6, she's also disadvantaged as her father is from asia and urdu is our main language spoken, english being the 2nd. i have also medical evidence of the problem, and the gp has explained the severity of itchiness etc, what are her chances of a successful appeal. :?:
Etienne

Re: 11plus appeal

Post by Etienne »

Last year 71.6% of Bucks appeals with 120 succeeded.

I'd need more information to attempt any assessment of whether your chances might be higher.

Do you have the O. of S. ?

And what are the KS2 predictions?

How did she did she do at KS1?

Any CAT scores?

Any year 5 optional SATs?

When exactly did the scabies start, and is the problem continuing?

Regards
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Aliya

Thanks for your PM. I note that my reply is still in the outbox, so I'll summarise below.

There are still some unanswered questions (e.g. you do not say when the scabies began). It does look like a strong case, but I'm afraid I cannot be more specific without seeing the Order of Suitability.

If your child was born in this country, and has lived here permanently, then English as a second language is unlikely to carry huge weight, even though you speak Urdu at home. In my experience most such children are at least bi-lingual, invariably talk to any siblings in English, and usually write English better than Urdu!

Fortunately with two such good scores, your "extenuating circumstances" should be enough, even though they might not have stood up to scrutiny if you had had lower scores.

Encouraging!
Etienne
mum in need

had the appeal

Post by mum in need »

hi guys and girlz i had my appeal yesterday and it went wonderfully well.
i was so nervous, my hands were shaking etc.... the panel were great. theyasked me about 5 questions in total, and seemed very happy. i hope i wasn't getting the wrong vibes, anyway i will keep you posted for the result.
camden

Post by camden »

Good luck Mum in Need!
Camden
mum in need

appeal success

Post by mum in need »

:lol: i got the letter and............................... it was a succe3ssful appeal.
i thank God and everyone who are at this forum. good luck to eveeryone else who r still waiting. it is such a relief for me, i am glad the whole ordeal is over. :P
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Congratulations! :D
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news - enjoy!
mum in need

mum in need

Post by mum in need »

thanks alot to all of you so much...... i am sjust so relieved. lots of love to you all. :wink:
nibbee

Post by nibbee »

So pleased for you and your family
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now