Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jayzee1

Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by jayzee1 »

Hello

New to this forum

Dd didn't pass kent but got following scores

Maths 106
English 101
Reasoning 111

Total 318

Now I don't know if school did a hta as I have tried twice to get hold of them and no luck. My question is she missed 5 marks to score minimum on the English..This is usually her best subject and is currently 4 a or b I think. Is it worth appealing in March? Hta assessment has now passed? Has anyone got any experience of child missing 5 marks and still going to Grammar through appeal or hta? So confused by this all. Live in Dartford. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks
Etienne

Re: Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Some of our Kent members may be able to comment specifically on the 5 mark shortfall, but for some general advice on appeals see:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Hello Etienne as you are experienced in this....Please can you say is 5 marks too much to bother appealing over?
Schools would be Dartford Girls Grammar or Wilmington Girls Grammar....Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please can you say is 5 marks too much to bother appealing over? Schools would be Dartford Girls Grammar or Wilmington Girls Grammar....Thank you
Sorry, no - I'm not familiar with every school in the country! :oops:
It also depends on what a local appeal panel's 'expectations' might be.

If in doubt, appeal and see what happens .......
It's usually worth a try if you have plenty of strong academic evidence to back up your case, plus good reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow some of the other 'start here' links.
For example, it would be worth investigating the previous success rate for these schools' appeals - that will give you a clue as to how difficult it might be.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
jayzee1

Dartford Girls Grammar or Wilmington Girls Grammar appeals?

Post by jayzee1 »

Hello All

Has anybody been through an appeal for these schools and how did it go..any experiences to share please. I have read up on the appeals info..just wanted people's experiences. Dd scored 111 reasoning Maths 106 and English 101..overall 318 needed 320 for Kent pass. Mostly level 4 across board. Unsure of hta at this time. Have appt to see deputy next week. Is 5 marks a massive amount to be under by? Anyone had more missed marks and made it to these schools.....English is her best subject....so a blip on the day......she was due a grommets op the day before kent test which got cancelled. After kent test and up to now she complains of a beeping in her ears from grommets already installed. Another op appt at end of month. Is this worth mentioning if we ever went to appeal....any thoughts welcome..thanks

Topics merged - please keep to one thread on Appeals

jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Anyone..anything to add. ..re appeals to these schools...i know Dggs will be tough....any advice re Wimington Girls?

Thanks
maximus73

Post by maximus73 »

Hi. I'm in the same situation with my son. He scored 318 aggregate, 115 in reasoning, 102 in English & 101 in maths (which was a real shock as level 4a at end of year 5). He would like to go Gravesend Grammar. Head did appeal but they said creative writing wasn't strong enough. Has anyone got any advice please. Is it worth appealing??
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

PM Sent to appeals box

Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No need to go into detail, but it makes things easier for us if you post your questions on here .......
Etienne
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Etienne wrote:No need to go into detail, but it makes things easier for us if you post your questions on here .......

Dd missed Kent test by 5 points

101 English 

106 Maths ( so got minimum pass needed)

111 Reasoning 

Total 318 needed aggregate 320

Question is she didn't hit 106 in English....if I went to appeal would I only need to show strong evidence on English fail mark? Or on maths etc as well?

Current levels are 

Reading 4b 

Writing 4c 

Maths 3a 

Science 4

She has just been assessed in school last Monday and Tuesday....waiting for outcome. Teacher said levels should have increased. 

In your opinion are the above levels as they stand too low to appeal over?

Sorry if I have duplicated myself......

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now