TWGSB vs 'grammar stream' in other schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CoffeeCup

TWGSB vs 'grammar stream' in other schools

Post by CoffeeCup »

Son passed 11+ and we are in one of the named villages so he should get a place at TWGSB.

There are also various grammar stream options in high schools or academies around.

Would we be silly to not go for the grammar school as he passed the test?

Any information you can give would be most welcome. Son is rather taken with one if the grammar stream options (I'm deliberately not saying which as I want to hear thoughts first).

Many thanks in advance

Coffee cup
tonbridgemum

Re: TWGSB vs 'grammar stream' in other schools

Post by tonbridgemum »

I don't think you would be silly to turn down a Grammar place - IF you thought another school was better suited to your son.
I think you are doing the right thing by looking at all the options and not just going for the easy one!
A lot may depend on you DS's personality. TWGSB is a big school. I know many on this forum are very happy with it for their sons but I have always felt my DS has been lost in a big crowd because he is 'middle of the road' and causes no problems! The teaching has always been good though.
I don't know much about the grammar streams/school to which you refer, other than I know children at Skinners Kent Academy who are thriving.
Its such a hard decision and interesting that he is keen on a particular school.
Would subjects taken at GCSE be deal breaker? Its worth looking into that also. Good luck. :)
Jonnyzap

Re: TWGSB vs 'grammar stream' in other schools

Post by Jonnyzap »

We have been looking at schools with grammar streams and other well performing schools because we prefer co-ed and find the 11 plus system awful (a view that was confirmed when my friends daughter spent half a day at her primary school hiding her head under a blanket because she was so upset that she did not pass - this is a bright, well-balanced, confident child who has been destroyed, temporarily we hope). I have been really impressed with St Gregs, which doesn't have a grammar stream as such, but gets excellent results and the children I saw were happy, articulate and ambitious, and Knole Academy. Knole does have a grammar stream with children who passed the 11plus in it - I spoke to some of them at the open morning and again, they were articulate children who spoke highly of their school. I live in the middle of both of them and have my fingers crossed that I will get one or the other.