waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Danniburke

waiting lists

Post by Danniburke »

Ive just found out from LA website that my DD wont be automatically placed on to waiting lists for schools above her offered place. It states I will have to contact the LA for each of the schools to be asked to be placed on waiting list.

Is this correct? and do you know how long after offer day you have to wait to contact them to request this.

I'm glad I read this as wouldn't have known otherwise :roll:

On the upside I've also found out I can login online at half past midnight on offer day to see what our offer is!! Late night for me that night :wink: :wink:
ToadMum

Re: waiting lists

Post by ToadMum »

I don't know which LA you are in, but last year, the Southend 'response' form on line asked for your response to their response to each of your preferences, IYSWIM? The options went something like, 'accept' / 'go on waiting list' / 'made alternative arrangements' (that one must have been linked to declining the school offered) / 'no response to make'. We were able to go back to the form and re-submit it if necessary.

This was the first year that we had had the 'look-up' option; two years previously, tick-boxes appeared when you clicked on the 'respond to offer' hyperlink in the offer email, but with fewer options.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Danniburke wrote:Ive just found out from LA website that my DD wont be automatically placed on to waiting lists for schools above her offered place. It states I will have to contact the LA for each of the schools to be asked to be placed on waiting list.

Is this correct? and do you know how long after offer day you have to wait to contact them to request this.

On the upside I've also found out I can login online at half past midnight on offer day to see what our offer is!! Late night for me that night :wink: :wink:
A couple of years ago,I logged online at 10 minutes to midnight (data was obviously not available yet ) and kept logged on until 2 minutes past midnight, when I refreshed the page. Results were there! :)
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

pleased as punch wrote:
Danniburke wrote:Ive just found out from LA website that my DD wont be automatically placed on to waiting lists for schools above her offered place. It states I will have to contact the LA for each of the schools to be asked to be placed on waiting list.

A couple of years ago,I logged online at 10 minutes to midnight (data was obviously not available yet ) and kept logged on until 2 minutes past midnight, when I refreshed the page. Results were there! :)
Should probably explain that I did not wait to log online straight away at 2 minutes past midnight as everyone was trying to and others said afterwards that the website crashed.
Danniburke

Post by Danniburke »

My LA is Thurrock, so we are out of area for all schools that we are applying for (5 preferences we shall be putting).

Just not sure what it is we should be doing when the time comes, as pretty sure DD will be a waiting list candidate. Hopefully Thurrock will have a similar option too, but sounds of things they don't. Only time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for the tip Pleased as punch, will try to remember to log on early then! :P
KB

Post by KB »

I would suggest you ring Thurrock LEA and the LEAs for the schools you are applying for to check what you need to do.
There have been cases where people from other LEAs didn't get offered places immediately due to miscommunication, so don't rely on it 'just happening' in your situation.
By speaking to both LEAs involved you can check they tell you the same thing!
spgunu

Post by spgunu »

Hii
Can anybody advise me.....
If I accept a offer from less preference school, what would be the waiting list position above the list.
I mean whether waiting list will disappear automatically or I will be getting another offer from the top priority school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

spgunu wrote:Hii
Can anybody advise me.....
If I accept a offer from less preference school, what would be the waiting list position above the list.
I mean whether waiting list will disappear automatically or I will be getting another offer from the top priority school.
Not absolutely sure what you mean? You can go on the waiting list for any school that you ranked above the one you were allocated. If you subsequently receive an offer from your top-ranked school, you will be taken off the waiting list for any schools between that and the one you got. Some LAs also take away the place you were allocated initially as soon as you get a higher offer, so if you decide that you are happy with your allocated school after all, let your LA know immediately that you do not want to go on / want to be taken off any waiting lists.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx