in-year move in year 6

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Debims

in-year move in year 6

Post by Debims »

Hi there - a bit of a distress call here, we are facing the possibility of having to move our DD to another school to complete year 6 due to bullying issues. We have been offered a place at Leckhampton primary school - I would love my DD to meet others who are going to HSFG as this move will be traumatic enough and it would be good for her to have some continuity with her next school. Please could anyone who knows of a girl going to HSFG from Leckhampton let me know - not that I'm going to try and force friendships or anything but it would be good to know she won't be the only one going there. Thank you.
Stressed?Moi?

Re: in-year move in year 6

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Been there debims; got the tee shirt and sometimes you do have to intervene. It's a nightmare and you have my sympathies. I would definitely make an appointment to meet the Head/Deputy to discuss this as I'm sure they would be more than willing to co-operate and fix her up with any one else going to HSFG or at least someone who has gone through the process so that they have something in common. As the places are limited of course, there may not be anyone, but it's definitely worth a try. Also, unless they are top 120, as you know, there's no guarantee until March that they would end up there anyway. Scary stuff, but the teachers will know her circumstances and am sure they will be very sympathetic to match her with someone suitable. Good luck.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Talking to a mum with children at Leckhampton Primary, I know the parents have been a bit surprised this year as less children got in than expected, but they do still have children going to Pates, STR, HSFG, Ribston and Crypt. I hope that helps.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Debims, how awful for your poor DD. :(
Glad you are able to get her out of the bullying situation. Best of luck to her at Leckhampton primary. :)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Just a thought Debims does your DD do any out of school activities where she will meet others at HSFG or going there? I really feel for you with having to move her due to bullying.

I know that DD has friends who are already there through Guides, Gymnastics and climbing as well as some who will be going there so it didn't matter if any of her friends from school weren't going. Same happened with DS as he knew other children from Scouts who were going to STR, most importantly was that he was going to be away from his bullys.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I pm'd you Debims
KittenChops

Post by KittenChops »

Also PMed.
Debims

Post by Debims »

Thank you everyone for your responses and very supportive PM's - I do appreciate it. We visited Leckhampton school yesterday and were very impressed, but have decided on reflection to keep her where she is. No guarantees that a move would make her feel any better with all the upheaval that entails, luckily for us none of the girls we have had problems with are going to Denmark Road. We will just endeavor to make the remaining time at primary school as positive and as stress-free an experience as we can, knowing that there are only another 8 months left.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

A hard decision to make. It is good that you have picked up on the issue and that your DD feels supported.

My Ds was bullied in his last year at primary. However by the time we picked up on it the damage was done. In the last parents evening meeting the teacher told us we had made the right decision not to send him to the local school. Shame nobody had mentioned he was having problems sooner as he never really settled into his new school. He struggled to make appropriate friendships and sort attention in the wrong way.

I don't know what the answer is but I do think schools need to be aware of the knock on effects bullying can have on a DC. I suppose what I am saying is be vigilant when DD starts her new school because in our experience being bullied can sometimes make it harder when a DC starts a new school to relate to other DC despite the bullies going elsewhere.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now