Reading Boys Results only please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helping_hand

Reading Boys Results only please

Post by helping_hand »

The other thread has both Kendrick and Reading Boys.
As its confusing, I thought is best to start a new thread to monitor the Reading Boys results
My DS has passed, but we dont know if his score is enough to secure him a place in Reading Boys.
I have called and emailed Reading Boys for further information on the result such as Range of scores, standard deviation and will kepp everyone posted as soon as I have them
The letter says the mean standardised score is 110.0 and Total of 1203 children ( 634 at Reading and 569 at Slough Consortium)
I hope all this information together will help us.
TryintobechilledDad

Re: Reading Boys Results only please

Post by TryintobechilledDad »

helping_hand, did you tick the slough consortium as well for your DS? If so you may have got both set of results... has anyone who got a 125+ in slough got their Reading result.

Dreading picking up the post in the eve. Does a 125 in Slough means it translates to a 105 or less in Reading Boys... meaning well under the 110 cutoff.... that seems cruel!
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

No I have not ticked of rthe slough Consortium ....Only Reading Boys
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

helping_hand wrote:The other thread has both Kendrick and Reading Boys.
As its confusing, I thought is best to start a new thread to monitor the Reading Boys results
My DS has passed, but we dont know if his score is enough to secure him a place in Reading Boys.
I have called and emailed Reading Boys for further information on the result such as Range of scores, standard deviation and will kepp everyone posted as soon as I have them
The letter says the mean standardised score is 110.0 and Total of 1203 children ( 634 at Reading and 569 at Slough Consortium)
I hope all this information together will help us.
Thanks a lot for this.

Can't we do something like what QE chain has done to keep a record of all the reported scores (may be by PM) and then share the list on googledrive with the forum in order to map the Reading School result ?

If Reading School gives you the range of scores and standard deviation then it will be helpful but I doubt they will give that :(
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

something like this can be done for Reading School results as well

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 7&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If people are interested in sending me their score by PM, I am more than happy to maintain an excel sheet and give them an unique ID so that from time to time one can check the googledrive to find out what the list is looking like.
Kindly also state if you are within the catchment (by 20th June 2014) and are going to put Reading School as your first preference or not.
Many thanks :)
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

indiemom wrote: If Reading School gives you the range of scores and standard deviation then it will be helpful but I doubt they will give that :(
I have called them twice and emailed them as well , Not giving up yet! :x

we are only asking this information as the letter with score is not enough to rank our preferences....
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

helping_hand wrote:
indiemom wrote: If Reading School gives you the range of scores and standard deviation then it will be helpful but I doubt they will give that :(
I have called them twice and emailed them as well , Not giving up yet! :x

we are only asking this information as the letter with score is not enough to rank our preferences....

They will say atleast we give you a score, some schools (like Sutton Schools e.g Wilson's WCGS) don't even do that, just tell you that the child has passed (which is equivalent to telling that the child has got more than 110 in this case) :lol: :lol:
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

Slough score 133

Reading score 113.97

Reading Boys will be our first choice on the CAF but don't think we will be able to get it.

It appears that Reading cohort had much higher mean score and smaller standard deviation (probably 15) hence lower standardised score.
Billy9

Post by Billy9 »

Reading2015 said:
"It appears that Reading cohort had much higher mean score and smaller standard deviation (probably 15) hence lower standardised score."

Help thickos like me out here - what does this mean?
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

Billy9 wrote:Reading2015 said:
"It appears that Reading cohort had much higher mean score and smaller standard deviation (probably 15) hence lower standardised score."

Help thickos like me out here - what does this mean?
Hi Bily9,

I just meant that children in Reading Boys result on an average scored more than those in Slough. Also, range of Reading boys scores would be smaller (probably 68-141 like Kendrick and many other schools) than Slough which spread their scores over a bigger range,i.e., from 28-165. Both these factors have caused 16-27 points reduction in Reading scores (of the children I know) when compared to Slough.

Using a smaller range (68-141) has no impact on your chances of getting into the school because it does not affect your percentile rank. However, Reading children scoring higher on average means that there is more competition for the Reading boys places and that means you have a lower percentile rank (% of children who scored below your score) when compared to Slough.