Judd or Skinners for non sporty boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Help!

Judd or Skinners for non sporty boy

Post by Help! »

Does anyone have experience of either with a non sporty boy? My DS likes both schools but is not keen on team sports such as rugby and football.

We are quite close to Judd so that may be an easier choice, but I have heard it is quite sporty.
tigger2

Re: Judd or Skinners for non sporty boy

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Help!

If your non sporty boy is one of our more gentle souls I would recommend choosing Skinners every time for their exceptional pastoral care and this includes understanding that some boys do not like these sports. Skinners seem to make more provision for non sports fanatics but I await correction from Skinners or Judd parents!!

Regards
Tigger
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Hi, My DS is year 11 at Judd. He's not sporty but was encouraged to try at Judd. Rugby is compulsory (7/8) although if you are not in A or B teams (as he definitely wasn't :lol: ) its pretty soft rugby.

I think they like to see the boys trying but they wont force them into being something they are not either. He certainly never had a problem with sports and now opts for what he likes (Tennis) and doesn't have to do the others.

I think you'll find sport is pretty big at all the schools due to the curricuum. A lot of the really non sporty boys i know opted for St Olaves....
kent mum
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

There are a lot of less sporty boys at both - my rec is if he likes drama and art go to skinners, music and science go to Judd, but tbh I would choose based on the journey!
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

My non sporty boy is desperate to go to Skinners - I asked one of the boys on the open morning and he said that although rugby is compulsory in Y7, it is no longer compulsory beyond that, and there are plenty of other things for them to do and get involved in - he was not remotely sporty himself and said that it hadn't hampered his enjoyment of his time at the school.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

tigger2 wrote:Hi Help!

If your non sporty boy is one of our more gentle souls I would recommend choosing Skinners every time for their exceptional pastoral care and this includes understanding that some boys do not like these sports. Skinners seem to make more provision for non sports fanatics but I await correction from Skinners or Judd parents!!

Regards
Tigger
Spot on answer.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

My son has a friend who is into drama and music and he is well catered for at Skinners, I would have no worries about being non-sporty at all.
committed

Post by committed »

I can’t comment on Skinners, other than hearsay (which is all favourable) – but I do have two at Judd. My eldest is highly sporty and plays both rugby and cricket for school and loves it. My youngest is not a rugby or cricket player at all… He did get selected and played for the ‘F’ rugby team in Year 7, but he won’t represent the school again! However, both are very happy there and my youngest, who is in Year 8, still gets to participate in sport at school, but it is all just for fun.

I personally think that Judd has a wide range of boys, the majority of whom are probably more into maths and technology than rugby and cricket. In our experience, it serves both types well.

I can understand your dilemma and despite having one already in the school, we did struggle to know what was best, given how different our two boys are. However our youngest wanted to follow his brother to Judd, despite his two best friends heading to Skinners. I’m pleased to say that he loves it and we haven’t looked back.
Billie

Post by Billie »

Judd is fine higher up the school - you can play tennis and they pretty much leave the boys to it. You say he doesn't like team sports, what about running? Judd loves cross country runners so if that's ok he'll be fine. Otherwise it is a case of putting up with rugby/ cricket/ running/ athletics ( + a bit of basketballl I think ) until higher up the school. Having said that after year 7 the teachers know who is hopeless and they are put together for games.
My ds found that the p.e. teachers attitude to him improved when they saw he was participating in extra curricular sporting activities - he did fencing in year 7 and later on table tennis club when it started.
Drama at Judd is not available at GSCE and as for school plays etc very hit and miss as to who can participate, so if interested in Drama I wouldn't recommend it.
Bettyboo

Post by Bettyboo »

My son is not at all sporty and has just started in September at Skinners, he absolutely loves it and is very happy there, he does rugby on a Friday afternoon and is a very gentle introduction to the game and they do not have to play in a team if they don't wish to. He then does basketball for PE once a week he thoroughly enjoys the sessions but is not good at sports and they accept some boys are more sporty than others and not pushy at all. The pastoral care is excellent.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now