West Herts Consortium, this year's scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Radlettmother

West Herts Consortium, this year's scores

Post by Radlettmother »

Last year the scores to get into all of the schools jumped dramatically. From what I can tell, no one has a definitive answer as to why- is that correct? Some have also suggested that it may simply have been an easier paper last year- is that possible?

Following on from that, does anyone have any idea ( I suppose primary teachers would be the ones to really know, but parents may get a sense, or have been told) whether the scores that children got this year are consistent with those from last year, or higher or lower. My daughter's best friend has her heart set on a school and is borderline for score, hence my question.
Queenie

Re: West Herts Consortium, this year's scores.

Post by Queenie »

My advice to everyone is always put your schools in order of preference (unless you are way off the mark). You never know what will happen on allocation day.

There were a lot of surprisingly low results in our primary and not necessarily from the really bright ones but from everybody. It will be interesting to see what the cut-offs are this year.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I think it's unlikely that the paper was easier. I believe the consortium only have a small number of Moray House papers that they use in rotation.

There are many theories that people have shared on this forum, including the theory that an unusually high number of children took the test, or more high-achieving children who in previous years might have gone to independent schools.

I have a theory which is based on chatting to teachers in my locality, which is that the current Y7 happens to have an unusual number of highly able children, particularly in Maths. DS2 (Y8) occasionally attends workshops for gifted children, and I have noticed that most of attendees are from the year below him.

Although there are a lot of children sitting the test, only a few of these usually get scores in the 260-282 range, so it would only take a few (twenty? thirty?) unusually able children to push the cut-off scores up significantly.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

What's preventing someone putting in an FOI request for the distribution of scores last three years?
Hera

Post by Hera »

Queenie did you mean surprisingly high or surprisingly low results?
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Surprisingly low results. I'm not sure whether it means anything I just thought I'd mention it. I was genuinely surprised compared to other years.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Hera wrote:Queenie did you mean surprisingly high or surprisingly low results?
I'm pretty sure she meant surprisingly low results. I've spoken to a number of parents who have DCs at various local primary schools and they have said, on speaking to the other parents at their school, a lot of them feel their DCs scores are lower than expected.

Hera, have you not found this to be the case for your DC and the primary schools in your area?
Hera

Post by Hera »

noonynunu wrote:Hera, have you not found this to be the case for your DC and the primary schools in your area?
It's not really been discussed so I don't know.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

In our primary school the scores seem to have been higher, with a few 270s and a handful of 260s being talked about. But of course the ones who got lower marks probably aren't being quite as vocal...
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Hera wrote:
noonynunu wrote:Hera, have you not found this to be the case for your DC and the primary schools in your area?
It's not really been discussed so I don't know.
Are you saying that you don't know whether your DC got a lower score than expected?

I will say that I find it interesting that non of your friends are discussing school options in light of the results. It's all my friends are talking about at the moment, along with speculation of whether results will go up or down this time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now