11+ and dyspraxia

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
AndiB

11+ and dyspraxia

Post by AndiB »

Can you please help me as I am new to this forum, but have already found some very useful advice.

My daughter is dyspraxic. She sat the 11+ this year and got very high VR and NR scores, however due to her limitations with spatial awareness, sequencing and organisation caused by the dyspraxia, her NVR score was extremely low and brought her overall score down to just 104 :( . For her, the NVR portion of the test is not a reflection of her ability to think laterally.

My daughter's headteacher believes she is GS material and would thrive there due to her high academic ability. Should we try for a selection review? What are our chances of success based the extenuating circumstances we have, but such a low overall score?

Any advice would be really appreciated as I am struggling to find anyone else in our situation.

Thank you!
DC17C

Re: 11+ and dyspraxia

Post by DC17C »

Hi went to a non qual/ oversub appeal for my DS 2 years ago who was diagnosed with dyspraxia. I don't know how it works with the review vs appeal thing. You would need to show that you have some sort of alternative academic to show your dd is suitable for GS and that the school you are wanting has some sort of specific things that make it the most suitable for your dd.
I will pm you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Last year 10% of cases were successful at review with a score of 104 - but your chances might be much higher if you have a good case.

1. How severe is the dyspraxia, and what evidence do you have to confirm that?
2. What academic evidence will you be able to provide? See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you weighed up which route would be best for you (review/appeal)?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your case is not exactly straightforward, an appeal panel would have much more time to consider it. Complicated cases have sometimes been known to go on for hours.

Review panels have a much tighter schedule:
    • on May 02, 2013 Sally-Anne wrote:the figure of 6.9 minutes relates to the average preparation time per case ahead of the Review Panel meeting. My estimate for the average length of time spent on each case during the actual meetings was sub-10 minutes, with some cases receiving no more than 3 minutes attention.
However, a review panel would say that they spend as much time as is needed on any case. They can also have an educational psychologist on hand to assess your evidence and advise.
Etienne
AndiB

Post by AndiB »

Thank you all for your support. It is all so overwhelming it is difficult to know what to do (review/appeal). As my daughter is a level 5a and estimated to be a 6 by the end of year 6 in English/Maths and her 11+ scores for VR and NR reflect this I feel I need to offer her this chance - I can't have her blaming her dyspraxia for what see sees as 'failing' the 11+

Also I didn't mention all her friends from her group in maths and English passed - she is the only one that didn't. Such a cruel system for those able children with limitations
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We do sympathise, and will do our best to help.

Read the Q&As - there's a lot to absorb.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't say, but I've assumed in my post above that this is a Bucks case.
Correct me if I'm wrong!
Etienne
AndiB

Post by AndiB »

Thank you Etienne.

Yes we do live in Bucks. I have reads through the information and am trying to absorb it now! It appears an appeal may give us more chance to explain the situation, but by the summer the grammar school may have allocated their places anyway! So maybe a review is better??!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AndiB - some GS will still have places - so yes an appeal is a risk but so is a review!

Are you targeting an over-subscribed GS?
AndiB

Post by AndiB »

Hi

No I don't think so, but how do I find that out? I'm such a novice at this!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=39654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the shared google doc in Sally-Anne's first post to see historic allocation profiles.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now