Townley v/s Bexley Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum1808

Townley v/s Bexley Grammar

Post by mum1808 »

I would like to thank all forum members for all the invaluable information they have shared on this forum. I have learnt so much from here.
My DD passed the Bexley tests and we have been looking at schools this week. We like both Townley and Bexley Grammar. I would be grateful if forum members who have children in Townley and Bexley Grammar could share their views and experiences about these two schools. That would be really helpful. Thank you
Filitosa96

Re: Townley v/s Bexley Grammar

Post by Filitosa96 »

We chose BGS over Townley for several reasons - mainly that we wanted a mixed secondary school for our daughter. We thought the arts provision (the dance studios etc) was really excellent at Townley but we weren't so impressed with its languages offer.
BGS was the right choice for us and our daughter and we based that on our instincts. BGS has offered very good pastoral support as our daughter has made the transition to secondary school, we are very happy with the curriculum and all of her teachers.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

BGS is outstanding and TGS - good school. For me this will be the main factor.
mum1808

Post by mum1808 »

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

VanillaLatte wrote:BGS is outstanding and TGS - good school. For me this will be the main factor.
TGS is good while BGS is better. I would save the word "outstanding" for Newstead, Olave's, Wilson, Judd and Dartford if you know what I mean...
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

parent2013 wrote:
TGS is good while BGS is better. I would save the word "outstanding" for Newstead, Olave's, Wilson, Judd and Dartford if you know what I mean...
Really?? I would reserve the word "outstanding" for Ofsted. A single gender school can never be outstanding in my opinion regardless of what Ofsted wants to make us believe.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Why's that Merlin? (honestly interested, not being confrontational :D )
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

FingersCrossedMum,

I think we should encourage all students to work to their best academic and social selves in an environment that promotes social and intellectual growth and development regardless of gender. School life is a preparation for the real world in my opinion.

Very passionate about this issue can go on and on and on about this but not going to... :lol:
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

It really depends on what you and your child are looking for in a school. For us, BGS was what we wanted (when looking for DS it was a difficult choice between BGS and DGS). For DD, BGS was exactly what we were looking for - didn't consider Newstead as it really didn't offer what we wanted (good choice of languages). It's always going to be personal. We liked Townley too, but DD didn't want to go to an all girls school, so the choice for us was easy. And both DC are very happy at BGS.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

For the past couple of months I did not hear very positive comments about St Olaves. Although it is a super selective school. Heavily relying on parents continuing with tutoring after DC passes gets a place there. Judd super selective - agree. Also is the reputation and the high number of applicants that makes it selective. A level is A Level everywhere.

Combination of good tutoring and happiness is what we are looking for for our DC. At the end of the day I know people who attended just normal good non grammar schools who have excellent jobs and life.