Out of area warwickshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fazza

Out of area warwickshire

Post by Fazza »

Hi all

I am a newbie to this site. Having recently discovered it you are all a mine of info. Wish I'd found you sooner. Congrats to all kids who have sat 11+ this year and their parents!

I remain very unsure where we stand...wondered if anyone can help.....

My Ds achieved standardised score 250 rank 11 of all boys- so pleased at his achievement- sadly although we live in Warwickshire we remain out of the circles for both south and east. I know this means he will not get an offer on the first round of places. Does the order he puts the schools on the CAF if selecting 2 GS affect whether they would consider adding him to the WL. ie would he only go on the WL of his first choice GS. Being out of area would his position on the WL be below those with lower scores but within the priority circle?
How long does the process take to get to wait list offers are we talking April ? May?....

Anyone with any advice just to try and ease the wait over the next 6 months
JamesDean

Re: Out of area warwickshire

Post by JamesDean »

Definitely put the GSs top of your list, Fazza, in the order you prefer. As you know, you won't be offered in the first round but with your DSs score you'll very likely be near the top of the waiting lists for the second round of allocations. And I understand that you can hold waiting list places for more than one school, so you should automatically be put on those for all the schools you weren't allocated in the first round.

And congratulations to your son :)

JD
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Last year first round offers were made to out of catchment kids in East Warwickshire, and I think they were the year before too. Your DS has a fantastic score and I wouldn't be surprised if he got an offer in first round.
Put the schools in order of preference on your CAF, you are given the first school you qualify for in order of preference so if you don't get your first choice your second choice becomes first choice if you see what I mean. Just because you put a school at number four and someone else has put it at number one doesn't mean that the other person will get that school offer before you, in fact the schools don't know what number they are at on your preference list.
Fazza

Post by Fazza »

Thanks to both for your replies...some deliberating to be done this weekend me thinks....
PorkSausage

Post by PorkSausage »

My son has scored 211, and we live in South Coventry and so are in the S Warks area, but outside the East Warks catchment.

His ranking is 351/1001 for all boys, and 227/556 for boys in S Warks.

Really confused about how to proceed. He's unlikely to be good enough for KES (looks like 220+ needed). Alcester is too far away.

So:
- If we put the E Warks Rugby Schools down, is there a chance of him being accepted?
- Drastically, would it help if we moved 5 miles down the road the East Coventry which is in catchment?
- Should we still consider schools in the S circle? ANy chance of getting in?

Advice welcome please.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Hi PorkSausage

KES's waiting list was 220+ last year, so I would suspect it will be similar this year, I'm afraid. No harm in putting KES on your CAF, assuming Cov give you 6 choices like Warks and not 3 like Worc.

East region is more promising, as for the last 2 years they have offered outside the priority area in the first round making the need to relocate from Coventry unnecessary. Not sure of the AQS's for Rugby last year, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help with that.

Hth,

JD
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

PorkSausage wrote:My son has scored 211, and we live in South Coventry and so are in the S Warks area, but outside the East Warks catchment.

So:
- If we put the E Warks Rugby Schools down, is there a chance of him being accepted?
- Drastically, would it help if we moved 5 miles down the road the East Coventry which is in catchment?
- Should we still consider schools in the S circle? ANy chance of getting in?

Advice welcome please.
Before I start, I have to applaud you on your name. Great name. Wish I'd thought of that one.

There is more chance of being accepted into East Warks. East Warks certainly accepted out of catchment children on offer day last year. I don't know the minimum score required of out of catchment children. WCC may be able to advise.

East Warks have an inner and outer priority circle (and out of catchment) areas. It is easier to get into schools if you live in the inner circle, rather than outer circle, rather than be out of catchment. I really don't understand the fine detail of how the inner / outer circles work and how WCC determines the AQS for each area.However if you do move check the criteria and dates for proof of address. I have heard that it may have changed this year.

KES is notoriously difficult to get into. I have to say 211 wouldn't get you a place regardless of where you lived.
Alcester may be easier to get into but may still be borderline even if you move into catchment. A big investment with no guarantee of success.
PorkSausage

Post by PorkSausage »

There is more chance of being accepted into East Warks. East Warks certainly accepted out of catchment children on offer day last year. I don't know the minimum score required of out of catchment children. WCC may be able to advise.

East Warks have an inner and outer priority circle (and out of catchment) areas. It is easier to get into schools if you live in the inner circle, rather than outer circle, rather than be out of catchment. I really don't understand the fine detail of how the inner / outer circles work and how WCC determines the AQS for each area.However if you do move check the criteria and dates for proof of address. I have heard that it may have changed this year.

KES is notoriously difficult to get into. I have to say 211 wouldn't get you a place regardless of where you lived.
Alcester may be easier to get into but may still be borderline even if you move into catchment. A big investment with no guarantee of success.
Thanks for reply.

I've given up on KES. AQS for LSS last year was 209, so I fancy our chances with 211, except we are not in the East Circle (only the South).

So I guess it's a case of apply for LSS and hope for the best.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now