Magazines in libraries

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Y

Magazines in libraries

Post by Y »

I just went in to my local library to pick up a couple of copies of New Scientist - only to find nothing there. That seemed a bit odd as there were plenty of back copies last time. On enquiring at the desk, I was told that the copies they had were donations, and that they didn't have a subscription because it was a weekly periodical. Though that was then challenged by another librarian, who said 'But we have OK and Hello!' I've asked for them to request a subscription (surely more important than OK), but they've only put through for an e-magazine.

Anyway, a plea - if you get a subscription to anything of vaguely academic interest, please pass it on to your local library when you are done with it! There may well be A level students out there whose university place could be gained on the back of your donation.
fatbananas

Re: Magazines in libraries

Post by fatbananas »

They need a Like button in this forum! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

That's a great suggestion - I had no idea - thanks for posting. BTW our local (Herts) library have a number of magazine subscriptions available to download. If you take your tablet in, they give you a code and you can download it on to your device. Admittedly there is a limited choice but I thought this was a brilliant service.
It takes a village to raise a child
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They also look at which magazines are borrowed nd how regularly. Obviously if no-one borrows the 'New Scientist' the subscription can't be justified. Read it or lose it!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, but there may be some kids/ adults who don't know mags such as New Scientist exist. Libraries have an educational role - you can get Hello etc in your hairdresser if you really want to read it for free.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Libraries are VERY short of money; they have to justify buying subscriptions for magazines.

Many libraries in Bucks have been closed over the past ten years ...
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Guest55 wrote:Libraries are VERY short of money; they have to justify buying subscriptions for magazines.

Many libraries in Bucks have been closed over the past ten years ...

I know. I used to work in one. Even more reason why they shouldn't be wasting their money on hello magazine for reasons stated above: education, not dumbing down.