Camphill boys or Bishop Vesey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clearsky

Camphill boys or Bishop Vesey

Post by clearsky »

Hello everyone, my ds has done well to choose any grammar schools in Walsall or Birmingham, however he wants to choose camphill but we believe BV would be better because of the distance. We went to have a look at all schools apart from Bv, and as a school Camphill suits him in every way, however it would take 1hr which is tcoo long. Bv is easier to get to but we haven't seen the school only from outside. Ds is not happy to go to Bv instead he says he would rather go to qm if he couldn't go to CH, but I wasn't too impressed with qm and believe the next best grammar school after CH for him would be BV based on online info and past exam results too.

Also ds is taking the Kes exam in January, and if he got in with assisted fees place we would send him there because it would take us around 30-45mins in heavy traffic.

We live in North Birmingham, it would be very helpful to hear from other parents that have been in similar situation as us.
quasimodo

Re: Camphill boys or Bishop Vesey

Post by quasimodo »

clearsky wrote:Hello everyone, my ds has done well to choose any grammar schools in Walsall or Birmingham, however he wants to choose camphill but we believe BV would be better because of the distance. We went to have a look at all schools apart from Bv, and as a school Camphill suits him in every way, however it would take 1hr which is tcoo long. Bv is easier to get to but we haven't seen the school only from outside. Ds is not happy to go to Bv instead he says he would rather go to qm if he couldn't go to CH, but I wasn't too impressed with qm and believe the next best grammar school after CH for him would be BV based on online info and past exam results too.

Also ds is taking the Kes exam in January, and if he got in with assisted fees place we would send him there because it would take us around 30-45mins in heavy traffic.

We live in North Birmingham, it would be very helpful to hear from other parents that have been in similar situation as us.
I think your analysis academically is quite right . I am meeting my friends this evening so that they can discuss the very same problem you have before they complete the LA form .They live in Walsall and their ds scored 248 in the Birmingham exams. My advice on the phone was go to QM Boys as Camp Hill boys is impractical. I suggest you drive to the school in the rush hour then double the time for the bus. It may be easier for you as I don't know where in North Birmingham you live.BV wasn't in their thinking.He is also taking the KE boys exam. If he gets in there my advice for them is to go there. Clearly they will need to think of the fees if they don't get a bursary or scholarship.I think their son wants to go to KE boys who wouldn't?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

Hi thanks for the reply, its nice to know there are others in similar situation, my son still wants to go to camphill and I'm in a difficult position, DH says to ignore what DS is saying and go with Bv as its easier to get to and a very good school too after camphill. Also I get the impression Bv may not suit a child who isn't into sports.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

How can you even contemplate making a decision about a school when you have not been inside the four walls? No school can be summed up by league tables and results - they are so much more than that.

Go and visit any schools that you are seriously considering - (you are right to worry about journey times) - and a get a feel for them - without exception, both my boys would look round a school and come out knowing whether they wanted to consider it or reject it outright - where they were in the league tables did not feature one bit - but how they "felt", how the boys showing round either showed pride at being there or no interest, how the teacher's responded to my kids, how the facilities looked...all these helped give us a very good picture.

Go and have a look at BV - your son may fall in love with it - or he may not but at least it will be an informed choice.
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

I agree, thats the reason why its so difficult to make a decision. We went to see all schools apart from BV, we missed their open day and I agree we need to really see the school first, its holiday and we need to complete the form by 31st of October. We will go and have a look at it once school opens again. Does anyone know if we are able to change the choice of school after completing the form before march.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Well, now that it is half term there is no chance of that before the CAF is due. I hope you can get some helpful advice from those who have been to the schools.

I liked camp hill, although the building itself didn't feel very spacious. I didn't look at BV as we are on the south side of the city. I know of quite a few people on the northern side who would choose between BV and Aston but wouldn't consider CH due to distance.
UmSusu
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I believe there is a second absolute deadline , maybe in December. Think it may be for those who move house etc, not sure if changing your mind counts. Someone on here will probably know better. I'd phone admissions tomorrow and ask. I'm sure in previous years people have posted about some of the grammars not being willing to do visits in addition to their open days/ evenings. I guess they must get deluged.
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

I have had some excellent feedback from parents who have children's there and also the school has improved so much in the last few years and I believe it will improve further. Also I have studied in Sutton coldfield college just next door and the area is very safe and good for children to travel to by them self. Thanks to everyone for all your help, I will call admissions tomorrow morning.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Agree the school has much going for it and both myself and ds1 liked it very much when we looked round. However other posters make a good point, however excellent a school's results and reputation are none of them will suit everyone. For example I have never liked the 'feel' of CHB and wouldn't send my boys there. Fortunately for me they haven't put me in the position of having to turn CHB down :lol:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

muminbrum wrote:Agree the school has much going for it and both myself and ds1 liked it very much when we looked round. However other posters make a good point, however excellent a school's results and reputation are none of them will suit everyone. For example I have never liked the 'feel' of CHB and wouldn't send my boys there. Fortunately for me they haven't put me in the position of having to turn CHB down :lol:
I know many people who feel the same way about chb.
If you won't be relocating then stick to bv as it'll be logistically easier over 7 years. Bv is just as good as chb. In fact there's little to choose between the gs in brum. If your dc is bright- and they usually are if they make the cut off - then they'll be fine in any gs.