Some advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dottymum

Some advice please

Post by Dottymum »

Am having last minute wobble about what school to put as number one on the form and not much time left to go! We are torn between KEFW and CHG for dd, up to now we have always had KEFW as our preference as its close to where we live (10 min drive or one bus) CHG is a 30-40 min drive or two buses. I would drive her mostly for year 7 but have a younger dd to get to primary too. Some background on my dd, she is very academic and musical (not sporty at all), she doesn't have any boys as friends and hasn't really for a few years, I am wondering if she might really thrive in the all girls environment at Camphill but really not sure! She loved both campuses although KEFW slightly more. If anyone has any useful info on either school that may help us make a decision it would be most appreciated, this site has been invaluable up to now!!!!
muminbrum

Re: Some advice please

Post by muminbrum »

Do you, and she, realise she will be in a significant minority at KEFW? 6 girls in my son's class. The girls are happy but they are a certain type of girl that can cope with being outnumbered by pubescent boys! On the plus side it's easy for girls to get on school teams as there are so few of them. The way you've described her says CHG to me rather than KEFW tbh.

An aside, you might get more responses if you edit your title to CHG vs KEFW or similar. Non-specific titles tend to get a bit lost.
Dottymum

Post by Dottymum »

That's really helpful, thank you, didn't realise it was tipped to boys quite so much!!! Thanks again
Dottymum

Post by Dottymum »

Does anyone else have any info on these two schools please?
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

I can understand exactly what you are going through we are also in the same position, ds wants to go to camphill and it would be a suitable school for him in many ways, however it would take us 45-1 hour to travel. We are considering BV as it will only take 20-30 or even less as the traffic isn't too bad and its also a great school, but we missed the open day so would be a risk to put it as our 1st choice.

I have been to FW its a great school but too far for us and also ds wants to go to a boys school, he has struggled for last 3 years in primary school with being the only boy in the top English set, he finds he isn't able to get his point across in any discussions or group work. He has stopped enjoying English because of this reason. I didn't see many girls in FW but many parents say its not a issue for their dd, however if you have a dd who doesn't work very well with a group of boys then it may not very suitable for her.

I have called admissions the lady wasn't very helpful, she said its up to me but we can't change after 31st October, and also that we could request them to change the school but they won't change. I didn't really understand the point of making a request if they would refuse anyway. Also we need to be very careful, we can't cancell the first choice to get 2nd choice as they will put you on the waiting list for 2nd choice even though ds has scored even to get in.

Hope you are able to make a decision soon, I know its very difficult, all the best.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

dottymum

this was discussed on the forum recently. might have some good info for you. My dd is pretty much like yours. Not keen on sports, 'Why would I talk to him mum, he is a boy' (although I have told her many times that boys can make better friends to girls than girls sometimes can). Does her work and plods along nicely. I would say though, that if girls are in very much a minority, and if they fall out with each other (which they do quite often in primary school) then, having more girls around might make friendships a bit easier.

we loved the FW campus better than CHG and I am not keen on single sex education. However, we live within 5miles of CHG and 10miles of FW. Me driving her to school is not an option and I believe green bus route is not that different to either schools (I think FW will take 10min extra)

We have made our choice last night and put down CHG as our 1st choice and FW as our 2nd.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=38914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dottymum

Post by Dottymum »

Thank you again for everyone that took the time to reply, as always it has been very helpful. We have filled in the preference form this evening and let dd have the final say and KEFW has gone down as number 1! Really hope it's the right decision, it feels it. Good luck to all and hope you get the schools you want x
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Dottymum wrote:Thank you again for everyone that took the time to reply, as always it has been very helpful. We have filled in the preference form this evening and let dd have the final say and KEFW has gone down as number 1! Really hope it's the right decision, it feels it. Good luck to all and hope you get the schools you want x
I think.you probably made the right choice fr what I know about the two schools. All the best.
Dottymum

Post by Dottymum »

Thanks for that, actually feel very relieved now the form is in! Can forget about it a bit til March!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now