Anyone with a DD at WHSG who can help?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
meerme

Anyone with a DD at WHSG who can help?

Post by meerme »

My DD missed the open evening at WHSG (though we were able to take her to both CCHS and SHSG). As she hasn't seen WHSG she's biased against it ...though it's our first choice. I tried phoning the office to see if anything could be arranged for her to see the school, but they flatly refused.

She's lucky enough to have a good score that should get her whatever we put down as our first preference and we're going for WHSG. But is there anyone here with a DD who'd be happy to have a chat with mine and, if not "sell" the school to her, at least answer her questions and reassure her that it's just as good as or better than the other two? We live in Rayleigh but don't mind driving to meet up somewhere. If it's tomorrow morning that would be fantastic as we aren't submitting the CAF till later in the day but if we can meet up any time over the next few days that would be great too.

Many thanks.
Good3boys

Re: Anyone with a DD at WHSG who can help?

Post by Good3boys »

I know of several yr7 girls at whsg but not sure if they are around as half-term. Have you tried posting your question on Facebook - Rayleigh, Essex and Hockley, essex both have lots of followers - if not PM me and I can pass on your contact details - my son is yr7 at whsb
meerme

Post by meerme »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook, but I'm sending you a PM with my contact details.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Out of interest, since your DD has been to CCHS and SHSG and liked both, why are you so determined that she should go to the one that she hasn't seen? Academically, both the Southend GSs are pretty good - and CCHS is usually thought to be a better 'prize', of course - but they do have quite a different 'feel' to them, with SHSG generally being felt to be more relaxed. And, yes, with two DC happy there, we are just a little biased :) .

That being said, if you have made up your mind, I hope that you will be successful in finding someone to reassure your DD that you have made the right decision for her.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
meerme

Post by meerme »

It's because all three are such good schools that it was a difficult choice. We made a list of criteria important to us - from geographic distance and ease of commute to their approach on protecting pupils' data - and graded the schools.

Westcliff came out far ahead of the other two. Not to say it's the best school, but it's the best based on the criteria we choose. Southend came second. Chelmsford, apart from being fartherest away and a long commute, came a very distant third. She wants to go to CCHS because "it's the most difficult school to get into" (and therefore must be the best).