Need help!What is the risk if I only put 4preferences on CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Valmarc1703

Need help!What is the risk if I only put 4preferences on CAF

Post by Valmarc1703 »

Is there anyone knows if I only put 4 preferences instead of 6 on the CAF, what's the possible risk? I will put 3 grammar schools for the first three preferences then a good state school for back up (1.2m away) but I really can't think of any school to put on the 5th and 6th .. (I'm not really keen on the other two schools in my catchment area :? )
What my thought is.. in case I put them on the form and at last my son got this school I can't have a say to council ...

My concern is if my DS can't get any of the 4 preferences, can council just give him any school close to my address or not giving any school?

Thanks so much for your advice :)
Guest55

Re: Need help!What is the risk if I only put 4preferences on

Post by Guest55 »

Yes they can allocate any school with places if they cannot offer any of the four.

You need to put at least one you know you will be allocated or you could get the least popular school.
Valmarc1703

Post by Valmarc1703 »

Guest55 wrote:Yes they can allocate any school with places if they cannot offer any of the four.

You need to put at least one you know you will be allocated or you could get the least popular school.

Thanks Guest55 :)
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

That's right...I have known cases where I child did not get any of the 6 schools placed in the list and was allocated the least popular 7th school which was not on their list....Better put all 6 options in the order of your personal preference...but at-least one which you are very sure to get a place in....hope this makes sense.

Good luck
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

I knew a parent who tried this, only put down two - one grammar and one comprehensive , mistakenly thinking the council will be forced to give her child at least the second one. Didn't quite make it for the grammar but was shocked to be allocated a school that was not in her list and the "least desired" school, quite a distance away. To this day, I am still puzzled as to why the child didn't get into the second one (comp.) as she appeared to be in the catchment area.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

It is better that you list your 2 least worst options for 5 and 6.

If you don't list any other schools and your child does not qualify for any of the 4 you have listed then the council will allocate you a place. You won't be left with no school but you might get one you've never even heard of or that you really don't want.
The only potential school you would be given if none on your list could take DS is one that other people have not asked for so has empty places left over to fill for the council to fill.

You would not for example be given a place at your catchment school if you hadn't listed if and if it fills all its spaces from people who did list it somewhere on their form.
You could potentially end up with a school not only so unpopular that it fills its spaces from unplaced children but one that is several miles from home should all local schools be full of children who listed them somewhere on their form.

With any luck, this is all academic because you will get number 1, 2 or 3 at best and number 4 will have a wide enough catchment just as a back up but you cannot rely on that 100% and it would be really risky not to tell the council which is your last choice option.
Valmarc1703

Post by Valmarc1703 »

Thank you very much for all your useful replies :) so I'd better to put the 5th and 6th preferences too, so glad I've asked!! Big thanks to all of you :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now