Outings, especially the Poppies at the Tower of London

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Outings, especially the Poppies at the Tower of London

Post by doodles »

Can't find the outings thread that I remember sorry.

Ds 2 and I went to see the poppies at the Tower of London today. If you get a chance please do go it's a truly unique tribute. The number of fallen was a number in a text book for both ds and I but actually seeing the number of poppies really hit home.
JamesDean

Re: Outings

Post by JamesDean »

We're going tomorrow, Doodles :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am hoping to go and see the poppies, as you say, it really brings it home. I've ordered one of the poppies ' they are only £25, which goes to the British Legion.
We've just come back from the Somme. The Newfoundland memorial was particularly brilliant. The architect decided to keep the trenches and shell holes as part of the site. It is so peaceful, he planted several trees native to Newfoundland. Such an eerie contrast to what it must have been like.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We walked along Tooley Street from London Bridge Station to Tower Bridge, over Tower Bridge to the poppies then back along that side of the river to London Bridge and Borough Market where we seem to have spent a fortune on a picnic tea for all of us :oops:

My feet are now in recovery but the public transport was so busy walking was the only way to do it.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hoping to go on Sunday.
Can you see them all without actually paying to go in, the boys are not that fussed about seeing the crown jewels as two have been already.

I have ordered three of the poppies, worried they will break on delivery.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

southbucks3 wrote:I have ordered three of the poppies, worried they will break on delivery.
I've ordered one too, SB3 - assume they will be well padded!
In a way, I'll be sad when they remove the installation ...

JD
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

JamesDean wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:I have ordered three of the poppies, worried they will break on delivery.
I've ordered one too, SB3 - assume they will be well padded!
In a way, I'll be sad when they remove the installation ...

JD
Just answered all my questions, plus realise we have to go on Saturday as they are taking it down on Sunday. :(
Can see best from tower hill it says, so off we will go.

Edited to say sorry getting my wires crossed, my friend is a helper, and starts this Sunday, but not dismantling, just prepping. Sorry. :oops:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

You're ok, SB3, its there until 11th November :D

JD
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just seen that they have sold all of the poppies now. I really want to see them before it is too late.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I guess it's going to take a fair few days for the volunteers to pick and pack 840,000 poppies, Saturday works for us better actually, no footy training this week, just early rowing and rugby on Sunday. :roll:

I wonder if the boys would be up for a walk down river to see the tall ship at the same time?