Romford to Westcliff travel

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

star72

Romford to Westcliff travel

Post by star72 »

Hi

Does anyone have children travelling from Romford (or nearby) to Westcliff?
I am aware there are buses from here to Chelmsford but cant seem to see anything for Westcliff?
ToadMum

Re: Romford to Westcliff travel

Post by ToadMum »

Train to Rayleigh then no.20? bus to Bridgwater Drive and ten-minute walk or continue on the train to Southend Victoria then bus no.21 or 29. There is a no.29 just before 8.15, I think, which terminates at the Westcliff schools.

No doubt there are privately-organised minibuses etc but public transport gives much more flexibility for taking part in after-school clubs, sports matches and so on. Quite a lot of girls come in to SHSG from metropolitan Essex by train, travelling onwards by bus in the opposite direction, similarly there are boys getting off at Prittlewell for SHSB.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
star72

Post by star72 »

Thank you ToadMum

Seems an awful lot of changing buses/trains etc..think I'm just thinking my DS is still my little baby but he will be starting secondary school next year so I better get used to it :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

They soon get used to negotiating buses etc and it's a useful life skill to develop :). If you are going for the train/bus route, have a look for the Greater Anglia Scholars Season Tickets website. The other grammar schools in the Southend area subscribe to it so I expect WHSB does. You need to get a rail Photocard for your DS first, but then you can book termly or academic year season tickets at discounted child rates and add on a 'PlusBus' season (unfortunately not discounted) which saves having to remember the bus fare.

An alternative route is Romford-Upminster-Chalkwell (c2c), but it is a 20-25 minute walk to the school at this end, quite hilly to boot. Or Romford-Upminster-Southend Central, then 21 / 29 bus as before, but I doubt that too many do it that way.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now