independent school scholarship for boys or girls?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
oct2014

independent school scholarship for boys or girls?

Post by oct2014 »

:arrow:
Last edited by oct2014 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Re: independent school scholarship for boys or girls?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Very unusual. Scholarships are usually below 25% and more usually at around 10-15% (I may be wrong but think it is something to do with most private schools being registered as Charities and are therefore restricted by the Charities' Commission rules.) Some scholarships have no monetary value at all (just the kudos of being called a scholar!! :shock: )

Occasionally you will find a "free" place on offer to someone who has scored very, very well in the entrance exam - this is usually a bursary (ie means tested) or might be called a Governors Foundation Grant or something similar (ie not a scholarship). But generally the "higher" value awards are bursaries (means tested every year and not guaranteed as it relies on the bursary pot every year.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Most senior independent schools are members of the HMC, and it is their requirement that non means tested scholarships are capped at 50% I believe. Some bursary pots are more generous than others (Whitgift offer some remission up to incomes of £70k).
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

And if you are looking at scholarships then it is worth browsing through the independent schools handbook at your library. I found this gave me more information about the number and size of scholarships awarded than the schools did directly. It can also be worth checking the school accounts (on the charity commission website).
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello Oct2014. I believe you are looking for financial assistance. In most schools, scholarships have nothing to do with income - they are awarded to the highest performing student/s.
My advice would be never to assume your DC will qualify for a scholarship - you do not know the standard of the rest of the cohort - depending on the school, there might be students at GCSE or A level standard in English or Maths already - this was the case in my daughter's school.
If you are aiming for a bursary, that is something else altogether and how much you might get will depend on a whole range of factors such as your income and how highly your DC scores in relation to others applying for a bursary.
oct2014

Post by oct2014 »

Hi, thanks for the reply. very helpful. No I wasn't looking for a finance aid or bursary.
Best wishes
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oct2014 wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply. very helpful. No I wasn't looking for a finance aid or bursary.
Best wishes

Hi Oct2014, sorry that you have deleted your first post after people have helped out with advice.

I hope you get what you want, just need to be aware that the big scholarships you asked about (>50%) are really a thing of the past and the better support comes from bursaries (means tested).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now