King Edward Camp Hill Girls - hopefuls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
destiny

King Edward Camp Hill Girls - hopefuls

Post by destiny »

After weeks of nervous waiting we got the results for our daughter today. She got 240. We are hopeful this is enough to get entry into camp hill girls, as the last two years marks were 222 and 225.

Congratualtions to girls/parents who got the result they hoped for!

It would be nice to chat to parents who will be putting CHG as first choice and hopefully getting entry for 2013.

We don't know too much about the school other than its excellent results. Anyone have things to say about CHG???
:D :D :D :) :) :)
equation

Re: King Edward Camp Hill Girls - hopefuls

Post by equation »

Did you not go to the open days? :o
It's always advisable to see the school to see if your dd would like it there.
Contact the school & see if they can arrange a tour of the school - but don't be too late - CAF has to be filled in by 31st Oct!
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

I would be wary of picking a school based on results alone. My DD managed to make the score for CHG (over 240) but we will be putting Handsworth first. We got a much better vibe from the open day and feel she will be happier there than CHG which left us cold.
um

Post by um »

I would personally go for the closest/more convenient grammar where possible.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I personally would go for league tables, results over the past 5 years, vibe, extra curricular activities and if they match child's interests and teachers rapport with the kids
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I would go where my child will be happy even if it means travel but no more than 1 hour each way and that is the maximum. I would want her in a school where she is a name rather than a number. Large and larger year numbers would concern me coming from a school of 200 and a class of 24.

League tables wouldn't worry me as they can hide and camouflage so much. What would be important would be how existing children felt about the school. The most important would be could you see your child fitting into the school. It is important how you felt about the headmaster and the senior leadership of the school.

I just don't understand why some parents have an aura of certain schools which is not justified by the league tables. Those that are towards the top don't have the substantial records of educating children from more deprived backgrounds.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Not all children are from deprived backgrounds possibly?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Having just looked up the 2013 tables via the DFE (2014 figures not collated yet), I was surprised at how few PP children attend the grammar schools currently.

If the KE schools make up 20% of the new cohort with PP children (25% for Aston) as is their intention, it will be quite a big change.

The current figures (whole school; those eligible for PP) are:

KECHB 6.7%
KECHG 9.8%
KEFW 5.7%
KE Handsworth Girls 12.5%
KE Aston 20.3%

Also for the schools which have not changed admissions policies to offer PP preference (not part of KE Foundation):

BV 11.6%
SCGS 11%
Handsworth Grammar 27.2

Um gave the above reply on another thread.It clearly demonsrates the success of the Aston and Handsworth Grammars.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Um....I suspect the poster of this question has moved on and has a child in Y8 by now....it was from 2012....
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Thats true but I'm sure there are a lot of KECHC hopefuls out there.
It was quite bizarre the first three posts came up together when I looked at the thread!!!!!

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now