Pass Rates by Bucks LA Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lillie

Pass Rates by Bucks LA Schools

Post by Lillie »

I know this subject has been discussed at length on the forum on numerous occasions.

However, I am just raising it here to ask why the 2013 results by LA primary school (i.e. the first year of the new CEM test) have not yet been published? I just happened to find the Facebook page of the local pressure group Local, Equal, Excellent which states that the Bucks Grammar Schools have refused to release the full data set of pass rates to them. (Sorry I can't do the link but can easily be found by googling it).

The complete lack of transparency in this process which affects all our children is unacceptable. These grammar schools are state schools, funded by tax payers' money. It should not be some sort of secret club.

Maybe there is nothing to hide but not releasing the data / delaying releasing the data makes you wonder why? So far, there is only speculation and some review of data recently in The Guardian and local papers.

However, if the results do show a discrepancy in pass rates in comparison to previous tests, then surely this needs to be reviewed openly and fully and sooner rather than later to reassure the public that the tests are not making access to grammar schools even harder for poorer children (which is the gist of the recent articles).

I just wondered if anyone knew any further details.

Sorry to bring up this thorny issue again.
mystery

Re: Pass Rates by Bucks LA Schools

Post by mystery »

What reason do they give for non-disclosure when a freedom of information request is made? Is the body that holds the test data exempt for some reason? Is there a corporate body that purchased the test and processed the data on behalf of the bucks grammars? Who is this body? What does the information commissioner's office advise? Has the requester of the data reported a concern to the IOC?

Kent cc did something different this year. It has released - very late on - a huge spreadsheet which shows the number of girls or buoys achieving each individual score at each and every kent state primary, with each primary named.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Very clear spread sheets on the web site of above group. Not that yours are not Sally Anne. :D it's just they are all in one place for lazies like me.

Approx 450 greater London authority children sat and qualified for the 11+ in Bucks only 87, following a quick count up, took places at a bucks gs, marvellous! I wonder how many entered the process under the misguided notion their sons (it seems to be the boys schools that are most sought after from afar) would secure a place at challoners or RGS? How many more simple sat the test because they could, without giving allocations or school choice any proper thought at all.

What is the take up of Kent gs places on the greater London authority borders in comparison to sitters? Similar scenario I should imagine?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't really know, but I think there might be a clever trick in the standardisation so that the accidental tourists don't bump up the pass mark for everyone else --- not sure really.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The new CEM spreadsheets for 2014 entry aren't there yet ...

No mystery - places are allocated on distance and tourists favour particular schools which won't usually deliver a place.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The Local, Equal Excellent facebook site says:

"It's now seven months since a Freedom of Information request was sent to The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools requesting the 11+ exam results (by primary school) for 2014. After a 5-month silence they have just sent their latest response - still refusing to release the main dataset, apparently with the support of Bucks County Council. The Information Commissioner is investigating - and we won't give up! But we continue to be amazed and disappointed at how little importance these public bodies attach to local accountability and transparency."

What was the wording of the refusal? Is this about the 2013 test or the 2014 test- I'm not clear.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would be the 2013 test for 2014 entry ie the first CEM test.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:The new CEM spreadsheets for 2014 entry aren't there yet ...

No mystery - places are allocated on distance and tourists favour particular schools which won't usually deliver a place.
Ah right - I was answering the question about Kent. I don't think we have the same issue as Bucks, but I could be wrong.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

southbucks3 wrote:Very clear spread sheets on the web site of above group. Not that yours are not Sally Anne. :D it's just they are all in one place for lazies like me.
Cheeky blighter. :lol: Those are all from FoI requests, so not even created by them!

I must find a better way to put some of mine up. (I have a few hundred ...) My PC had an argument with Google Drive over the weekend, and I suspect my links are all broken now, but I have a bit too much else on today to do anything about it.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I have just found their website which I hadn't seen before.

However, I was meaning differences in pass rates, not only overall LA versus indie and OOC, but also differences between specific Bucks primary schools and whether pass rates had been affected by the change to the new test provider. It is all hearsay at present. I know there used to be such an analysis with the old test.

My query came about after reading some of the appeal threads and being quite surprised / shocked at some of the very low pass rates quoted in the appeal threads (e.g. one case commented only 1 child in a class of 30 qualified). That's what made me wonder if the CEM test has caused a big change within some schools which needs to be addressed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now