Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest1965

Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest1965 »

I am so proud of my son,i thought i would tell you all. He started at an independent school in September, and he was very much thrown in at the deep end. He was not at one of the best primary schools (pulled out of special measures) He was also extremely bullied because of his lack of height and good brain!! I received his report last week and i see a different child!! omg!! He seems so much more confident. The only problem he has is writing,which i am sure most other chidren have,especially boys age 11yrs? It has so been worth paying for his education(at a good school)..There has been no bullying,son says the kids are all chilled out and nice..He has been to three parties(he has good freinds!) My son has found the school for him. I can say that in my case 'independent' education is well worth the cost . All kids are different,i have two other boys age 8 and 4,my 8 year old is very artistic,but not academic enough to pass entry tests. He has had no probs with bullying. He seems to be thriving in his primary school. All children are different,and how glad i am to have guided my first born in the right direction! I would def recommend Bablake in Coventry.
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

really pleased for you and your son.Glad you've found the right school for him.My daughter is also at an independent school and loves its.All the girls are extremely polite and not a bully in sight.
I bet this xmas will be the best ever! :D
capers123

Re: Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by capers123 »

Guest1965 wrote:I received his report last week and i see a different child!!
Our children went to a nursery that was part of a private school. We found that the reports tended to be absolutely glowing. Not just for us, but for all the children. I had a suspicion (confirmed after we'd left by one of the teachers) that they tended to be more positive so you would 'see the benefit of what one is paying for' and be less likely to withdraw the child. I also found that getting information from the teachers as to potential, progress and the like was just as hard as in a state school (apart from one exceptional teacher who sadly left).
There has been no bullying

I think you're both lucky. I noticed bullying further up the private school, with some quite unpleasant children including one who tended to push any little child out of the way (the school wouldn't do anything about it as the poor lad had learning difficulties, as well as several siblings at the school, and I suspect they wanted to keep the fees). There were also a lot of SEN children at the school who could be disruptive, as parents felt they needed to pay for them to get attention in the class, whereas in reality they tend to get as much, if not more attention in a state setting (although sometimes that is to the detriment of the brighter ones - hi ho).

I'm not prejudice against private education - there are a few private schools around my area that are very good, just as there are state schools - I think it's just a case of caveat emptor.
Capers
asd123

Post by asd123 »

Capers

The reason that many parents - who can - send their SEN children to a private school is because it is very hard to get a child statemented in the state setting and then very hard to ensure that statement is the right one and the recommendations are followed. The government policy of one style of education fits all, their closure of special schools and their totally bogus mantra of ' every child matters' mean it very, very hard to find any form of decent education for some SEN children.

I found some of your comments offensive.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

asd123 wrote:The reason that many parents - who can - send their SEN children to a private school is because it is very hard to get a child statemented in the state setting and then very hard to ensure that statement is the right one and the recommendations are followed.
I guess it depends on the school. Our primary has a very active SEN programme - which is why (as I mentioned) one family moved from private to state (and, yes, they could afford private).

The down-side of this is that the school is rather weak on that other end of SEN - the Gifted & Talented programme.
The government policy of one style of education fits all, their closure of special schools and their totally bogus mantra of ' every child matters' mean it very, very hard to find any form of decent education for some SEN children.
It's not just this government - it was the conservatives who started abolishing grammar schools as secondary / comps were far better - 'one-size-fits-all who can't pay'. I do agree that the SEN schools being closed down is wrong - there should be good provision at both ends of the spectrum.
I found some of your comments offensive.
Which ones? They certainly were not meant to be. If it was the 'positive school reports', that was true in that particular setting. Mind you, trying to get any quantitative information out of some teachers in both state and private schools is like trying to get blood out of a stone - they're scared that you'll start using it to boast around the playground as to how ones child is better than the other, whereas we just want to know what to expect from our children.
Capers