Any advice please!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chips

Any advice please!

Post by chips »

my daughter got 114 in her Langley Grammer 11 plus. I know that with that score she cant get into Langley , i am very worried that she wont get into Herschal either as we put that as our second choice. It would be hard to explain to her that even though she passed, she hasnt got into any of the Grammers. - VERY WORRIED! :cry:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Chips..

It's awful when you don't get a place at grammar when you don't pass.
But I don't know how I would explain to my child that they passed but they didn't get a place..
Is it set in stone that you won't be offered a place?

Have a read of the Questions and Answers section and post back and queries you may have.
Etienne is away at the moment, but Sally-Anne is still around to help with the more complex questions.
I wish you all the best.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

Thinking of you and your family..

AM
10 NOV

Post by 10 NOV »

My son got 114 in langley test as well.I am also worried that if he does not get into langley he might not be offered a place in herschel either as it was his second choice in the slough consortium.What are his chances of getting into herschel grammar.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

What are his chances of getting into herschel grammar?
I really can't answer that as I have no experience with Berks schools.
I think you may get more of a response to that question if you posted it on the Berkshire region.

AM
chad

Post by chad »

HI Chips..

Congratulation to your daughter on her achievement.

Two years ago Herschel offered down to 112 and there was at least one admission via appeal.
The wait until March is agonising but there is not a lot you can do.....there was a discussion last year on whether it was possible to change your preferences but I am not sure whether anyone had managed it.
Have a look at this..

http://www.langley-grammar.slough.sch.u ... speech.pdf

especially pages 3,5 & 6

I am concerned that although the LEA runs a 'equal preference' model the Slough consortium are saying that the school should be 'first choice' on the consortium form.This would suggest that someone scoring 112 (with Herschel as first choice) would be admitted to Herschel before someone scoring 115 with Langley as first choice.... which is not working with the 'equal preference' model of the LEA....... :?

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your help .
This whole thing is so overwheming, i have spoken to a few people today, who all think its unlikely my daughter wil be left without a place anywhere, but its the not knowing, i literally have butterflies in my stomach. If she had failed it would be clear cut as i know i would either try to try to appeal or forget about the whole thing , but this is a very grey area. Still worried, didnt know that the 11 plus procedure was going to be so stressful. My daughter is so happy she has passed, and is assuming she will get a place in a grammer school, i would not like to tell her its not happening. :oops:
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Don't tell your daughter about your doubts unless it you have to later. There's no point in you both worrying. For the moment, it's enough to say something like 'We'll know in March where your place will be' and leave it at that.

Geoffrey
Shocked

Worth Appealing?

Post by Shocked »

Hi

Can anyone offer advice our child got 108 in the Slough 11+, unfortunately had a bad year with a close relative in seriously ill in hospital. Daily visits to the hspital meant constant juggling with finding time to prepare for the 11+.

With these circumstances is it worth appealing??
chad

Post by chad »

HI Shocked....
You would have to provide good academic evidence, it sounds as if you have mitigating circumstances if it affected your child at the time of the exam but as we have been told that it is not neccessary to 'prepare' for the exam it would be hard to put 'unable to prepare' as a reason for the result.
Predicted 555 for KS2 Sats, support from the headteacher... any other results (optional sats year 4/5) would all be needed.

Post by Guest »

chad wrote:I am concerned that although the LEA runs a 'equal preference' model the Slough consortium are saying that the school should be 'first choice' on the consortium form.This would suggest that someone scoring 112 (with Herschel as first choice) would be admitted to Herschel before someone scoring 115 with Langley as first choice.... which is not working with the 'equal preference' model of the LEA....... :?
Don't worry about this, it is now illegal for any school to give preference to an applicant because they have put them first choice, so if you discovered they had been doing this and a child had got in with a lower score than your daughter because of their order of preference you would have an excellent case for an appeal (and on to the Ombudsman for maladministration if necessary). I am not in Bucks, but I can't see any way for a school to get around this, or what the point would be. BTW how is it possible for a child to pass the 11+ but not get a grammar school place?