Interesting and challenging technology kits for a 13 yr old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neveragain*

Interesting and challenging technology kits for a 13 yr old

Post by neveragain* »

Has anyone got any good ideas for good technology kits for a 13 year old. My 13 year old has been taking apart old radios, printers, cameras etc but now would like a kit or something for Christmas to work on. Any ideas? Science and Technology not my strong suit...... :roll:

THANK YOU
Tinkers

Re: Interesting and challenging technology kits for a 13 yr

Post by Tinkers »

Lego mindstorm?
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

We've looked at that but not wanting so much programming......more building and adapting........
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've just had a very quick look on amazon at Lego mindstorm, thinking they might be great for DS2. £300?? :(
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I got mine cheaper on eBay. However if programming isn't his thing...
vasu

Post by vasu »

I found this while looking for something similar for my 13 yr old. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26164178 ... 0&ff14=108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are plenty of similar kits such as these. Finally we got him a graphic programming course.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You might find something in Maplins, for example

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electronics-kit-n94ch

Mike
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

I was just about to start a thread on Lego Mindstorm, but then I spotted this one and thought I'd hitch a ride...

Can anyone give me views on the system? We are considering buying some for DD2 - she's utterly Lego mad, and also loves programming using Scratch and other module-based systems. The girl never stops making stuff, and just tends to think in 3D, so I think she could have a lot of fun with creations that can also move around.

Obviously it's pretty pricey stuff, but as she has a birthday in December, and insists that she "won't ask for anything else at all, promise", we are considering a combined christmas/birthday present. But I really don;t want to waste that sort of money if it's not likely to have enduring appeal.

She doesn't have a computer or tablet etc of her own, but I have an old Mac that can probably be purged and used for the software.

If anyone's kids have used Mindstorm and love/hate it, I would really appreciate your thoughts :)

Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If she likes scratch then from what I remember the programming style for mindstorms is very similar.
My DD has used scratch in the past, and when I installed the mindstorm software (also onto a Mac) she had no problems getting to grips with it.

Have you heard of First Lego league? If she gets really into it it might be worth encouraging her school (or some other local group like scouts etc) to enter next year, have a google and you'll find all sorts of info and YouTube videos. I will be refereeing the regional heats here in December as I did last year. The year before that I was a teamwork judge. The competition is more than just the robot game, there's a theme to each year and they do a project as well.

(Sounds like your DD is an engineer in the making, :D and that always makes me happy. Please encourage as much as possible, we need more engineers.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about a raspberry pi ...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It can be programmed using scratch or python.