Moving back to UK need advice on where to live for schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Re: Moving back to UK need advice on where to live for schoo

Post by DC17C »

Malmesbury in Wiltshire is a lovely old market town with an excellent non selective school - my partners niece has just finished there achieving 3 A* in science subjects and has gone on to study medicine.

Gloucestershire has a number of grammar schools - I know one has mandarin on the curriculum but it is possibly the most difficult to get a place and there is this locally:: http://www.glos-mandarinschool.org.uk/chinesecentre.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DC17C on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

I had to relocate back to UK several years ago after working overseas and had a similar dilemma/opportunity. We decided to move to Kent as it is cheaper than London, but commutable and has a lot of very good grammar schools. If your daughter is reasonably bright and well prepared for the 11 plus, she would stand a very good chance of getting a grammar school place as around 25% of children go to grammar schools in Kent. It has worked out well for my daughter and she is now at a superselective grammar school in Tonbridge (but unfortunately Mandarin is not available). I would also consider Maidstone which has two very good grammar schools (Invicta and MGGS). House prices are cheaper further away from London, so places like Ashford, Folkestone, Canterbury etc may be worth considering as they also have grammar schools and are closer to the nice coastline!
Best of luck with your choice!
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

I'm afraid the OP's question is essentially one of the "how long is a piece of string" kind, and a "plethora" of well-intentioned but diverse answers has followed, each extolling this or that place on the basis of individual experience. I doubt that the OP has really gained much that is of any decisive use from the exercise.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

equilibro wrote:I'm afraid the OP's question is essentially one of the "how long is a piece of string" kind, and a "plethora" of well-intentioned but diverse answers has followed, each extolling this or that place on the basis of individual experience. I doubt that the OP has really gained much that is of any decisive use from the exercise.
Well, yes, I think several of us said that, but we are just trying to help. Maybe the information here, combined with other sources will help the OP? Surely that's up to him?
scary mum
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Go to Scotland. Loads of good schools, cheaper house prices, great scenery, Edinburgh, coastline, beaches, no tuition fees.
Amber

Post by Amber »

equilibro wrote:I'm afraid the OP's question is essentially one of the "how long is a piece of string" kind, and a "plethora" of well-intentioned but diverse answers has followed, each extolling this or that place on the basis of individual experience. I doubt that the OP has really gained much that is of any decisive use from the exercise.
So, apart from criticising everyone else's efforts, are you going to offer something 'of decisive use' to salvage 'the exercise'?
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Amber wrote:So, apart from criticising everyone else's efforts, are you going to offer something 'of decisive use' to salvage 'the exercise'?
No.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Perhaps you should take a little time to read through the whole thread equilibro

OP
Well thanks again for all those who have replied. I did say I was looking for ideas and general opinions of where might be suitable for my requirements that i was happy to share. Info received from several of you in regard to specific towns and schools has been very helpful, and I thank you so much, I will investigate further to see if any are suitable.
Having been in a similar situation myself recently with a tighter timescale for the move I was able to glean some excellent information from this site.
moved

Post by moved »

Minesatea wrote:South, outside M25, not rural, girls grammar offering Mandarin- try Chelmsford County High School for Girls. Mandarin was being offered as an "enrichment subject" to gcse level last year but obviously no guarantees they will continue to do so.
We did a similar return to the UK. I chose Essex as we had some family and there were grammar schools.

DD studied Mandarin at Chelmsford County High, although she opted out of the GCSE. She did go with the school to China for a language immersion course and gained a diploma during that course.

Plenty of the girls who took Mandarin had a parent who spoke the language and the course was fast-paced.
There are a good number of girls in the school who are native or near-native speakers which will obviously help your daughter maintain her Mandarin.
The course takes place for two hours after school on a Wednesday evening or at least did last year.

Mandarin is being offered far more widely in the UK for the obvious reason that China is becoming a more important world power.