Failed Kendrick Exam by 3 Marks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cubed

Failed Kendrick Exam by 3 Marks

Post by cubed »

Hi,

These forums have been an enormous help - thank you to all the contributors.

My DD didn’t pass the Kendrick entrance exam by 2.74 marks, pass mark is 110.

When collecting my DD from the test she mentioned an incident in her classroom where another candidate developed the hiccups during the second paper. The test was stopped to removed the candidate. The test then resumed, would this be extenuating circumstances I can appeal on?

I didn’t check on the test day if this incident had been recorded on the Invigilator’s Report because I’m a newbie to entrance exams and hoped wouldn’t be in this current situation. I’ve recently written to Kendrick using your sample letter requesting a copy of the Invigilator’s Report.

My DD has projected Sats results from her Year 6 teacher as Maths - solid Level 6 , Reading - level 5, Writing - level 5 during a recent parents evening. I haven’t approached my DD’s Head Teacher yet as am unsure whether to appeal.

I understand appeals are rarely granted at Kendrick School and then Oversubscription will come into play.

Is this worth appealing and going into Oversubscription? Please forgive my ignorance, how will the Oversubscription play out in that will my DD be added to the end of the waiting list? We are in Catchment.

I have read the information on this forum and am a little puzzled because the Kendrick FAQs that came with the Results state:

“Q Can I appeal?
A You cannot appeal about your daughter’s test mark. Your offer letter from your Local Authority on 2nd March 2015 will contain details of how to appeal if you have not been offered a place at your preferred school. “

Is this indicating Kendrick are not accepting Non-Qualification appeals?

I understand I will have to put Kendrick as first place on the CAF to be able to appeal.

Thank you in advance for any comments and advice.
Tinkers

Re: Failed Kendrick Exam by 3 Marks

Post by Tinkers »

I don't think anyone has succeeded at appeal for Kendrick for a very long time.
Your biggest issue will be appealing for over subscription. Kendrick just don't have the space to go over PAN, the classrooms are full. I believe this is the argument they use in appeals.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

cubed wrote:These forums have been an enormous help - thank you to all the contributors.
:D
When collecting my DD from the test she mentioned an incident in her classroom where another candidate developed the hiccups during the second paper. The test was stopped to removed the candidate. The test then resumed, would this be extenuating circumstances I can appeal on?
You can appeal on any grounds!

The essential argument has to be evidence of high academic ability.
Strong extenuating circumstances could help - but you will have seen what we say about disturbances:
    • “There are often lots of disturbances – rubbers being dropped, rhythmic tapping of pencils, sobbing, vomiting, persistent coughing, children getting up to pop to the loo mid-exam, football matches outside the window, planes flying over, dogs barking outside – the list is endless.”

To be honest, these ‘routine’ events may not carry much weight at an appeal.
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My DD has projected Sats results from her Year 6 teacher as Maths - solid Level 6 , Reading - level 5, Writing - level 5 during a recent parents evening. I haven’t approached my DD’s Head Teacher yet as am unsure whether to appeal.
Is this worth appealing and going into Oversubscription?
Difficult to say when we don't know what the sub-levels are (there's a significant difference between 5c and 5a!) and what the other academic evidence will be.

The odds are against most appeals succeeding - and tend to get worse if entry is highly competitive (which is presumably the case with this school).
Please forgive my ignorance, how will the Oversubscription play out in that will my DD be added to the end of the waiting list? We are in Catchment.
I think we can assume that non-qualification and oversubscription would be dealt with at the same hearing. If you win both parts, you get a place.
If you win just the non-qualification issue, then in theory you ought to be able to go on the waiting list, but the procedures at some schools are a bit murky in this situation.
(Nobody necessarily goes 'to the end' of the list - if you're eligible to go on the waiting list, you should be placed strictly in accordance with the admission rules.)
I have read the information on this forum and am a little puzzled because the Kendrick FAQs that came with the Results state:
“Q Can I appeal?
A You cannot appeal about your daughter’s test mark. Your offer letter from your Local Authority on 2nd March 2015 will contain details of how to appeal if you have not been offered a place at your preferred school. “
You have a legal right to appeal against the refusal of a place - and that would include the outcome of the test (unqualified status).
I understand I will have to put Kendrick as first place on the CAF to be able to appeal.
It will have to be somewhere on your form in order to appeal. (You may want it to be first.)
Thank you in advance for any comments and advice.
You're welcome. :)
Etienne
cubed

Post by cubed »

Thank you Tinkers, you have confirmed my suspicions.

Thank you Etienne for your detailed response.

Think the next step is to speak to DD's Head Teacher to get a better idea of high academic ability as DD has been in top group for maths and literacy, when they existed since year 3.

Kendrick candidates are put into exam result order for the waiting list hence I assumed DD would be at the end of the waiting list for oversubscription, having the lowest score. The previous waiting lists have moved slowly too.

I have a long time to fully consider this.
amnash

Post by amnash »

Hi cubed

I am interested to know if you have received the requested invigilator's report from Kendrick. They seem not to answer emails. Have you sent the request by post?

Thanks
cubed

Post by cubed »

hi amnash,

I handed in my letter before half term and have received invigilator reports for both papers.
amnash

Post by amnash »

Thanks cubed, this is helpful.