Waiting for Kendrick and Reading 2015 allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

Waiting for Kendrick and Reading 2015 allocation

Post by berks_mum »

It is quiet here last 2-3 days. How are you planning to handle the wait till March?
Looked in some some old threads and it seems it was the same thing last year and there was me thinking the system has improved this year. Do you think we need more clearity from the schools before filling out the CAF?
Clarity = No of DCs sitting, No of DCs qualifying : IC vs OOCs , Ranking.
Tinkers

Re: Waiting for Kendrick and Reading 2015 allocation

Post by Tinkers »

I think in previous couple of years it was easier to say whether you were reasonably sure of a place. This year it's all changed and we have no idea about the impact of extra Slough sitters, or how the test was standardised (though guesses have been made).

We get better info than some schools though.
amnash

Post by amnash »

I wonder how other parts of the country are communicating their results ? I have seen in Essex they give three bands with ranges of scores and number of children.

The question is: what this 110 represent? 10, 20 or 30% of the cohort?

Another question come to my mind is what are the reasons behind the merger with Slough schools? is it to broaden the chances? or what? and were the effects of this one consortium for Berkshire considered before the implementation of change?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The cost of having a custom exam was probably part of it - a remark for Kendrick used to cost £400!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Tinkers, I thought Slough sitters always sat Kendrick as well. But then the huge jump in numbers may suggest that some just ticked the box because there was a facility to do so?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

amnash wrote:I wonder how other parts of the country are communicating their results ? I have seen in Essex they give three bands with ranges of scores and number of children.

The question is: what this 110 represent? 10, 20 or 30% of the cohort?

Another question come to my mind is what are the reasons behind the merger with Slough schools? is it to broaden the chances? or what? and were the effects of this one consortium for Berkshire considered before the implementation of change?

amnash, that is the question which is bothering me. If it is 30% of the entire cohort then it is 300+ DDs for 96 places. I would have thought this is a huge number to select for 96 places.
I believe if the school gives out IC/OOC cohort/qualifying numbers parents may have some clarity. Has anyone asked the school about it?
Last edited by berks_mum on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Reading Mum wrote:The cost of having a custom exam was probably part of it - a remark for Kendrick used to cost £400!
Reading Mum, at least there was a remark facility. This year there is no remark/paper viewing facility (If I read the FAQs correct) ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

berks_mum wrote:Tinkers, I thought Slough sitters always sat Kendrick as well. But then the huge jump in numbers may suggest that some just ticked the box because there was a facility to do so?
There has always been a few sitting both Slough and Kendrick, but now it is a simple tick in the box, rather than two forms, two exam types to prep for (though I don't think they were that different, not sure), two separate exam dates. I suspect more ticked the box simply because they could. I can't believe loads of slough sitters are in catchment for Kendrick, I just can't. I think maybe there might be some kudos to getting a good score for Kendrick, but saying 'of course DD qualified for Kendrick, but not being in catchment she wouldn't get a place' I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't have bothered ticking the box for Slough if it had been me.

There is obviously some reasoning behind the magic figure of 110, otherwise why change from 109 as it was. 109 certainly gave over 200 qualified last year.

And yes there was a (very expensive) remarking facility. You could even go and see the papers too. Not allowed by CEM though.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

berks_mum wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:The cost of having a custom exam was probably part of it - a remark for Kendrick used to cost £400!
Reading Mum, at least there was a remark facility. This year there is no remark/paper viewing facility (If I read the FAQs correct) ?
Sorry, I stand corrected. There is a remark facility fro £50 per paper.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Tinkers wrote:I think in previous couple of years it was easier to say whether you were reasonably sure of a place. This year it's all changed and we have no idea about the impact of extra Slough sitters, or how the test was standardised (though guesses have been made).
How was it predicted in the previous couple of years?