Race night ideas, anyone?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Race night ideas, anyone?

Post by Yamin151 »

I need to organise a Christmas do, on a budget, for the local brass band I am secretary for (and son plays for) - yay, lucky me!

Anyway, 50-70 people ish, players (typical brass band, lots of fun, big blokes, little blokes, some ladies, up for a laugh) and their families.

Food sorted, cheap and cheerful. Need to continue the theme for the entertainment. As such a mixed group I think just sitting around chatting not really an option, need a 'thing' going on. Not a disco! Something a bit of a laugh and all inclusive. So I was wondering about a race night. I see lots of DIY packs available, but not sure how to pickt he wheat from the chaff. Has anyone done one? Are there apps to work out the odds etc? There are three of us willing to 'run' it and equipment, DVD and projector shouldn't be a problem.

Any tips or recommendations? Or indeed, different ideas!? Don't think the betting issue a problem as family fun and no real money!
Guest55

Re: Race night ideas, anyone?

Post by Guest55 »

Quiz night? Not too serious e.g. recognise the carol, christmas facts, local history, celebrity photo recognition, name the programme from the theme tune, and this sort of thing
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent. ... thswk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...

I don't like race nights and they do 'normalise' betting which may not be what you want.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Are you going to the school race night on Friday, Yamin? You will see how they sort of pan out there. We have booked but are still umming and ahhing as, to be honest, having been to one previously, didn't massively enjoy it and think the kids only enjoyed it from the aspect of being with their friends for a social. And, it is gambling, real money or not!

A quiz could work well with mixed ages as you can put in a huge range of questions that require a decent mixed age team to cover all bases! The other beauty of a quiz is that they literally cost nothing to put on! Not bad when you are on a budget!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Fish and chip bingo always is my favourite school fund-raiser / night out :)
Four games and a flyer at the end; a bar, a raffle and fish and chips for supper.
You do need a local chippy willing to deliver on mass though ...

JD
KB

Post by KB »

Beetle drive?
Human bingo?
Ceili?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Have you looked at the silver stone website?
gavwad

Post by gavwad »

Have a look on Amazon.

I've bought a couple of race night packs off there, and both of them were great.

We raised over £700 for my lad's football team earlier this year.

Much more fun than a boring quiz!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Thank you everyone, I really fancied a race night but in the end the committee decided on a quiz night, which will be done by one of the band members who will in fairness make it good fun

Thanks to everyone who responded and for all the ideas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now