Transition to Secondary school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
berks_mum

Transition to Secondary school

Post by berks_mum »

I wanted to find out how the process works. In some threads I read that some teacher from the secondary school visits the DCs primary school to get familiar, schools arrange an induction day and some schools arrange activities like bowling, picnics for DCs and parents to get known to each other. How is the process in Bucks, especially for OOCs getting into Bucks GS?
Guest55

Re: Transition to Secondary school

Post by Guest55 »

There is a county-wide induction day on the first Tuesday in July.

The process varies between schools, for example, my school do try to visit schools before that to meet new students. A team of teachers do these visits as there are lots of schools ...
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

If it's SWBGS this is how it works ...

As Guest55 mentioned there is the county wide transition day where they will spend the day at their secondary school.

Assuming they do it the same this year they will be allocated houses and their class (there are 4 classes and they do all year 7 lessons in this class). They then spend the rest of the day with the class and do various fun lessons. There's a briefing for parents at the end of day.

They visit some schools (head of KS3) - my Ds's school (in catchment, in Bucks) wasn't visited (whs did visit their school however) but they got sent a welcome DVD - tbh ds didn't mind not being visited.

There is a 4 day (not over night), optional summer camp at school first 4 days of holiday and optional 2 day hockey camp at end of holiday. First week or so is gradual transition at start of term. Dr Holding and Mr Robertson (head of KS3) had individual meetings with each child towards the end of their summer term at primary.

There was a Hog Roast for parents also. The process is no different for OOC or for Bucks children.

I thought you put Kendricks #1? No idea what they / Berks do.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick have a transition morning at the end of June and a parents info evening (with the girls too) a couple of days later.

A Kendrick teacher did visit DDs school, but we weren't told about this beforehand and they certainly didn't visit most schools as far as I know. I guess it was because we are reasonably close and there were 4 girls from DDs primary. A lot of girls are the only one from their school, so I wasn't expecting a teacher visit.

The Kendrick paremts society organised a picnic over the summer as another means to meet other parents and for the girls to meet each other just before starting school.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks guest55, kitty mum and Tinkers.

kittymum, we are in the grey zone of Kendrick (not too high scores to be sure of a place) hence keeping both avenues open.

Tinkers, I think 2 DDs have qualified from DDs school but both are in the twilight zone. Don't know how it will go.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

July is a long long way away and September is even further so tbh I wouldn't bother thinking about transition now - children change so much in this space of time that areas which may concern you could change between now and then.

Also I'm sure you'll get Kendrick and if not you'll know in March so I wouldn't fret now whether you'll be slumming with us yokels in Bucks :wink: :lol:

The thing to remember is that the vast majority of children transfer to their secondary schools with absolutely no problem and that the schools are very good at making the transition process as smooth as possible.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Also I'm sure you'll get Kendrick and if not you'll know in March so I wouldn't fret now whether you'll be slumming with us yokels in Bucks :wink: :lol:
kittymum, is that the secret for leafy Bucks?
Pastures new are always promising.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which school did you put no 1 in the end? I have forgotten if you posted your decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now