St. Helens !!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FunnyMummy123

St. Helens !!!

Post by FunnyMummy123 »

I was thinking of sending my dd to St helens and was wondering if anyone knows how many Oxbridge students they had the year ending July 2014?? Thanks :D
mystery

Re: St. Helens !!!

Post by mystery »

Are you hoping she will get a job at Pilkington's?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum.
What part of the country are you in?
I can move the post to the relevant section, but I'm not sure where St Helen's is!

Yoyo
FunnyMummy123

Post by FunnyMummy123 »

Sorry, it's St. Helens in Northwood in North west london
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll move this to the Independent section .

(Hope that's the right St Helen's?)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have you tried the website?

http://www.sthn.co.uk/sixth-form/exam-r ... ions-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
OneSizeFitsAll

Post by OneSizeFitsAll »

I went to the open day yesterday and asked the head that question. Well, I didn't specify that time period; I think I may have phrased it as "each year", but given that's the most recent window, I assume her answer (3 pupils) refers to it.

She admitted that the number wasn't high enough and that she intended to make a concerted effort to raise it (including getting more students to apply in the first place).

For what it's worth, my wife and I toured the whole school and liked it a great deal - the facilities were good, the teaching seemed of a high standard, the atmosphere was really lovely and the girls all seemed extremely friendly with each other. The only problem from our point of view is that the journey isn't great from where we live.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely applying to the best university for the student and the course they want to study is a more important measure?

Oxbridge is not the best for everything nor is it best for everyone with the grades to go there.
OneSizeFitsAll

Post by OneSizeFitsAll »

Agreed. Though it is a useful metric to consider, among others, when looking at a school's academic performance.

Just like, on the other end of the scale, when my local secondary got a pupil into Oxford it was on the front page of the local news and there was much excitement - not a ringing endorsement for the school in my eyes.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Surely applying to the best university for the student and the course they want to study is a more important measure?

Oxbridge is not the best for everything nor is it best for everyone with the grades to go there.
Definitely. DS1 managed 5As at AS and possibly his school was hoping that he might boost their Oxbridge stats, but neither Oxford nor Cambridge offers the course that he wants to do. Southampton, Warwick, Birmingham, York and UEA do, so those are the ones he is applying for. Looking at the St.Helen's leavers' destinations, okay, only a few go off to O or C each year, but the others seem to choose some very interesting courses at some perfectly respectable universities - Birmingham being particularly popular.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx