Our Child got 113 in bucks
good report from headteacher
expected levels of 5 5 and 4/5
yr 5 cat scores for maths vr and nvr average 126
and ill the week prior to exam
Is it worth an appeal
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

To be honest, I think it's only worth an appeal if you are prepared for the overwhelming likelihood of not getting through.

It's not that your daughter couldn't do well in a grammar, it's more that there are hundreds out there in a similar position. One of our children scored 114 but had all level 3 at Key stage 1, average VR from school tests of 128 and achieved all level 5 in key stage 2. And he wasn't alone in being in that position. He's now at the top of his comp and more confident than his siblings in grammar. I'm sure he'll do well.

With a score of 113 I would say you needed more evidence than you have. Maybe you could put your energies into the best alternative? In a year, it will all seem much less important (I promise!)

Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Apologies - assumed it was your daughter, but just noticed you said 'child'

Geoffrey
Etienne

Re: Should I appeal

Post by Etienne »

As Geoffrey indicates, the odds are certainly against you (a 5.8% chance with a score of 113, based on last year's figures), but it's not impossible if your case is strong enough.

If the academic evidence is really compelling (and we need quite a bit more detail in this instance), why did your child underperform to such an extent on two separate days?

A panel is likely to take account of the other 11+ score (you don't refer to it).
It will look to see what the head's recommendation was for academic potential (a "1, 2 or 3" - you don't say), what he/she writes specifically about your child's academic ability, and how accurate the Order of Suitability was.
It will look to see what the CAT VR score was in particular (you don't mention it).
And it will want to probe your child's health (Was this an isolated illness? Was your child fit to return to school? If not, why was he/she allowed to take the tests? Are there any other factors which might explain underperformance?)

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now