St Margaret's Bushey & St Helen's Northwood

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Herts-Dad

St Margaret's Bushey & St Helen's Northwood

Post by Herts-Dad »

Hi all,

Are there any current/past parents of these schools on the forum that could please give their experience of these schools?

I'm particularly interested in what made you choose them, whether they have lived up to your expectation, what kind of child they might suit, positives/negatives etc - in fact anything would be helpful.

I have visited both, but find it difficult to form a complete impression from open days alone.

Thank you for your help.

HD
Coconut

Re: St Margaret's Bushey & St Helen's Northwood

Post by Coconut »

I have personal experience of St Margaret's but do not want to say in what capacity. It achieves great results, has a nurturing environment with amazing facilities. Each girl is really understood and made to feel special as the staff have a very caring approach to the girls' particular needs. It turns out articulate, well rounded girls who benefit from a privileged education. I hope this sheds some light and is able to inform your decision. Good luck with the process.
Herts-Dad

Post by Herts-Dad »

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. Are there perhaps any other members who might have experience too?
Stressing123

Post by Stressing123 »

I have a daughter at SMB in Y7 and she loves it - looks forward to going to school and always comes home happy. Facilities and grounds are excellent, and they are in the process of developing the site further. They have good academic record and pupils have been quoted as saying the school is a "green house as opposed to a hot house". DD received a number of offers from schools, but this was her and our preferred option.
Herts-Dad

Post by Herts-Dad »

Thank you very much. Can I ask please, whether you consider that the school has the full range of ability represented within its pupils. Do you think an able pupil would be sufficiently stretched there?

Thank you.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I have a dd in Year 9 at St Helens. I have found the teaching to be excellent and I am enormously happy with the school so far. Dd loves it and has developed an excellent work ethic and really enjoys her school.

I would say it is stronger academically than St Margaret's. The school achieves good results but without the intense pressure of say NLCS. Beautiful grounds, the school takes up almost that whole corner of Northwood! Lovely outdoor space, lacrosse pitches, tennis, netball etc.

Fantastic range of extra curricular clubs, all the usual sports, swim squad, badminton, gym club. Music - flute group, concert orchestra, jazz band, smaller ensembles.

Regular author visits - dd was lucky enough to have Malorie Blackman and Sophie McKenzie in Year 7.

They are set for Maths and the lower sets have a small number of girls to allow for plenty of individual attention. They all move up eventually.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now