GCSE photography. Any info?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

GCSE photography. Any info?

Post by Tinkers »

DD and I were having a conversation while out walking about her gcse options. She is in year 8 so will be choosing in just over a year's time.

Like her father, she is actually quite interested in photography, she has his old DSLR and they enjoy going out together to take photos. She does take some good shots and thinks creatively about what she takes pictures of.

So she said "it's a shame I can't do photography as a gcse, I'd quite like that."

I know it exists, but her school don't do it as a GCSE. I wondered whether she would be able to do as part of GCSE art and design, rather than drawing and painting. (She is reasonably good but not outstanding at art and she wouldn't want to do art.) If it's possible, does anyone know what the workload is like compared to art, as I know that's quite heavy.
Guest55

Re: GCSE photography. Any info?

Post by Guest55 »

I would talk to the Art department as it might depend in which GCSE course they follow.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My son has been actively encouraged to take photos and use them as part of his GCSE art sketchbooks/portfolios. They appear to have quite a lot of flexibility as to the actual content and format of their coursework as long as it conforms to the topic they are doing (for example, the last one was "Identity" and they did use photos as the basis for some self-portraits and cubist pieces; a previous topic involved the natural world and they included work using their own photos of natural structures).

The workload for art GCSE is indeed heavy and it does involve quite a lot of different drawing and painting skills.

I would, as G55 says, definitely go and talk to the Art department to see what is possible.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks.
I have already told her to talk to her art teacher. She won't want to do it as part of an Art gcse if she still has to draw and/or paint. I suspect she will possibly persue photography in some other way rather than gcse at a later stage. I think there is a photography club at her school but for the older girls. She was a bit miffed, but hopefully it will be on next year when she can join.
KB

Post by KB »

Doing a GCSE isn't necessarily the best way to explore her interest in this.
Lots of exhibitions to go to, public lectures, on line materials and beautiful books.
Look out for holiday courses or weekend workshops.

Shame you cant share some of her shots on here - its a great skill to have.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Actually it is more a case of what gcse options she will have. I'd be happier with her not doing it, (and carrying on in the way your describe) but it will be a case of what else gcse wise she wants to do instead. Just seeing whether it is a possible option at the moment.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

There is an Art and Design: photography GCSE - I think both Edexcel and AQA offer it - at least at the moment. It does depend on whether the school has the expertise to offer it though.The spec seems to be the same as all the Art and Design GCSEs but the work is all photography based.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

She finally remembered to ask her art teacher this week.

Apparently she can do predominately photography as part of an art gcse, but she still needs to do some drawing/painting.

Suspect it might be out of the running, though she thinks it is still a goer. Options for her last choice of gcse will be based on which one she dislikes the least :( . Of course we still don't know quite what the changes to gcse mean to her. Waiting to see what the current year 9s get told.

On a plus note, she has entered a local photography competition and is intending to submit a photos to a school competition. We've been out today so the pair of them can take more pictures.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect that the school does not have the expertise to offer the 'right' GCSE. It's good that she is practising her skills anyway.

Photos were needed for Technology to record the 'making' process so that might be another avenue ...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

She has already decided her tech subject will be textiles with ICT as reserve choice (they all have to pick one from PD, textiles, food tech or ICT, however hat might change with he changes to gcse). Apparently PD is ok but she prefers textiles.

I suspect you remember why she isn't picking food tech! :roll: :lol:
Teacher is slightly better this year, but the damage has been done.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now