Habs Maths Papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Herts-Dad

Habs Maths Papers

Post by Herts-Dad »

I wondered if anyone might have an idea of what % a child should be aiming for in the Habs (boys) maths papers in order to have a chance of getting an interview at the girls school. Does anyone actually score in the 90s in these papers in the allotted time, or do you think that generally scores are lower than this? Thank you for your help.
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Maths Papers

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs Girls do not make either past papers or marks available, however in my experience it is the girls who are very strong in English who get the interviews. I think high 80's would be the best mark to aim for in the maths papers. DG
Herts-Dad

Post by Herts-Dad »

Thank you DG, that is very helpful. Obviously we have some work to do.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

DD1 did these when preparing for Latymer, who used to have a similar test. We managed in the region of 45/50 in the end in both (which are similar in style). Past Latymer papers gave the average (I don't remember if it was the mean or median!) as ranging from 29-32/50 on average. I'd agree with DAO that 80%+ is a good score to aim for. Try running through them but with a stopwatch on the table. DD only reached Q30 (ish) the first time, but in the actual test finished in under 30 minutes, checked the entire paper twice and scored about 44/50. You have plenty of time to work on speed. Try the 10 minute Maths tests too and use them daily.
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
animal

Post by animal »

My DD is in year 8 and she says that non-Habs Juniors girls needed 80% to get to the next stage.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is that 80% in Maths or 80% in total for all three papers, Maths English and VR? Thanks DG
Herts-Dad

Post by Herts-Dad »

Animal can I please ask where your daughter got that information?
Was it from the school itself (i.e. teachers) or from the other girls (i.e not necessarily a reliable source?) That seems quite a high pass mark given the percentage of applicants that are interviewed and the difficulty of the paper
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Is that 80% in Maths or 80% in total for all three papers, Maths English and VR?

Animal can I please ask where your daughter got that information?
Was it from the school itself (i.e. teachers) or from the other girls (i.e not necessarily a reliable source?) That seems quite a high pass mark given the percentage of applicants that are interviewed and the difficulty of the paper

bump up :-)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Animal has not logged on since the post so we might be waiting a while for the answer! All the students I know of have always got to the interview so I personally don't think the overall mark would have to be that high. DG
elevenlevel

Post by elevenlevel »

The maths in particular looks quite tricky so I'd be surprised at that mark too. The last few questions are difficult.

It will be interesting to see how many have applied this year and how it is changing as it sounds like some independent schools are seeing increases.
Am I right in thinking about 550 apply most years, 200 or 250 might be interviewed and there are 100 places for external candidates (plus 50 ish moving up from the prep)?

DAO maybe those candidates were all quite strong though?! You'd still need to be in the top 20% of a presumably pre-selected group as parents wouldn't presumably sit a child who was struggling at school or even fairly average?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now