Upminster travel options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newatthis

Upminster travel options

Post by newatthis »

Hi there, does anyone know if there are any coaches/ buses for travel from Upminster to Chelmsford? The train route is a bit awkward having to travel back to Romford and then change at Shenfield. I was hoping that there may be some alternative that existed.

thanks
newatthis
ToadMum

Re: Upminster travel options

Post by ToadMum »

Are you talking about 2015 entry and have already put KEGS / CCHS first on your CAF, or looking ahead? The Westcliff schools and SHSG are much easier to get to from Upminster than Chelmsford; SHSB also possible on c2c with the help of a bus or a bit of a walk at this end, although Prittlewell station on the Greater Anglia line is closer to the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
newatthis

Post by newatthis »

I am planning ahead :lol:
We currently live in Romford but in an area where we do not have access to any reasonable secondary schools! We are therefore thinking of moving. One of the areas we like is Upminster, which although out of catchment for all CSSE schools is an area we like. I was just curious what travel options there were for Chelmsford schools re coach/ bus. Any advice most welcome.

I know the C2C will be good for the Southend schools but I am nervous about the long walk. Just as aside, do any mums do cab pools etc from the station to school?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Do you have a DS or DD? From Romford, Prittlewell station is an easy walk from SHSB. For SHSG, a lot of girls come in by train to Southend Vic then take the bus, the 1 stops opposite the school. Upminster to Southend East would obviously be more direct; the walk from station to school is about 15 minutes, just follow the herd.

WHSB and WHSG are further from stations but loads of pupils do walk over from Chalkwell, as do those from St. Thomas More, although the latter does apparently run a minibus between the station and the school. I can't say that I have ever noticed taxis carrying schoolchildren, but that is not to say that there aren't some parents who arrange them for their DC.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
newatthis

Post by newatthis »

thanks ToadMum. I have a DS.

I guess I am reading this as SHSB is the easier commute, though WHSB is a possibility. Chelmsford looks too difficult!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now