Schofield & Sims Maths Book - which book to buy

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbie121

Schofield & Sims Maths Book - which book to buy

Post by Newbie121 »

Schofield & Sims...looking to buy the maths 11 plus books but don't know which one. When they are numbered 1 to 5, is book 1 the easiest and book 5 the hardest? Or are the books all pitched at the same level? Thank you for any help :)
Yamin151

Re: Schofield & Sims Maths Book - which book to buy

Post by Yamin151 »

Book 1 is easiest, then they go up. For eleven plus you would hope they would be easily doing 4, pref 5.
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will order 4 & 5.

Is it the same with the VR and NVR books?

Thanks xx
Busymumoftwo

Post by Busymumoftwo »

I think I made a huge mistake by buying a Schofield & Sims Mental Arithmetic book because it doesn't include the answers! :(

If I had known this before my daughter wrote on it then I would have taken it straight back as it is far too time consuming to have to work out all the answers before I can mark my daughter's work. The answer book is sold separately, but for the combined cost of both books there is so much alternative material to choose from that does conveniently include the answers.

I hope I can stop someone else from making the same mistake as me!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sadly I rather enjoyed doing the working out - I hated maths at school, its so much more fun now!

Agree on books 4 and 5, some will enjoy 6 but its actually 5 that is the hardest as 6 is basic secondary as opposed to 'stretch' primary
mystery

Post by mystery »

Anyone know about the problem solving series? My DD has been given book 4 for homework which looks as though it is aimed at year 6. She is in year 6 but I've been told that she's aiming for level 6 but this book looks dreadfully easy to my mind.

I didn't realise Book 6 mental maths was easier than book 5. I'd assumed it was level 6 material. This link shows it as being a bit harder. Or in practice do you think that the problem solving skills required are deeper in Book 5 although there is more syllabus coverage in book 6?

http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/downl ... Levels.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think it takes very long to work out the answers to each page so I wouldn't let that put you off the series. It is very cheap and does provide fabulous practice if you can grin and bear it. The print is awful.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

In mine and my boys opinions this is

Thing 1 was on book 5 in y6, Thing 2 was on book 6. Book 6 seemed to have a subject with a whole 10 questions pertaining to it, so for example, 10 questions on coordinates in the graph above. Book 5, which he said he found harder, scooted around from subject to subject and expected more varied problem solving in each section for different problems. This may of course be simply down to that meaning it takes longer. But apparently their teacher said to them that book 6 is the basics of secondary maths whee book 5 is for stretching brighter year 6 children, and our course it's perfectly acceptable for no year 6s to be doing that level, so this does follow.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Our school has just given top group year 5 book 3 for homework and top group year 6 book 4. What's that about? All the top group have passed the 11 plus and some with superselective scores. What must the middle and bottom groups be doing?

I am trying to get through book 3 at home with year 4 dd so that by 11 plus time we can have comfortably finished book 4 and done some of book 5. I hope she isn't presented with book 3 again in two years time.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

How frustrating mystery! Does seem a bit wrong......

Ours was a very strong maths year, the teacher was also a maths teacher and the school in general is good in maths. But all the same, they still start them on book 1 in year 2 and on pretty rapidly from there, BUT their feeling is that if you got them all right the book was too easy and the point was to find a point here the children were stretched and perhaps got 75% without help. Then there were groups to go through the questions each week.

Good for you doing it at home, I felt the books were very helpful towards elven plus.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you know anything about problem solving book 4? The blurb on the schofield and sims book says it is for year 6 but I am not sure how it is supposed to help with preparation for level 6.