St Olaves - How's it going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dpla2428

St Olaves - How's it going?

Post by dpla2428 »

Would be interested to hear from anybody whose son has started at St Olaves this year with any feedback on how things are going so far. Have they settled in well, is the school living up to expectations, what's it like in terms of work pressure, amounts of homework, etc? Anything you are willing to share would be much appreciated.
mumoftwo2002

Re: St Olaves - How's it going?

Post by mumoftwo2002 »

Hi dpla2428,

DS started at St O's this September and so far is loving it. He has made lots of new friends, joined lunch clubs, rugby team etc.
I would say the homework is roughly half hour per evening (some more, some less depending on subject) He has thoroughly enjoyed learning new subjects and as far as pressure is concerned that has certainly not how he is feeling thus far, just full of enthusiasm for new found knowledge.
IMHO the school have been fantastic at helping the boys to settle in to their new school routine and the older boys are always helpful to the younger year 7's.
We have been very impressed and the school has surpassed our expectations with regard to the nurture of our DS. Please pm if you have any specific questions you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to help. :)
dpla2428

Post by dpla2428 »

Thanks for the feedback mot2002.
sky123

Post by sky123 »

My son passed St. Olave's test as 'is likely to' category. We have some other options as well. We were planning for St. Olave's. But in this forum some parents of St. Olave's students and/or their friends comments made me worried. I have to decide by 31st October. If any parent of St. Olaves student kindly give some insight would be great help.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Sky, may I suggest you have a look at past posts about St Olaves (of which there are many!) - the same questions do come up again and again and there is a lot of information already on these boards (also have a look in the Kent section)
Rachel22

Post by Rachel22 »

Fingerscrossedmum wrote:Sky, may I suggest you have a look at past posts about St Olaves (of which there are many!) - the same questions do come up again and again and there is a lot of information already on these boards (also have a look in the Kent section)
Although there are few threads on St Olaves but they are 2 years old and with the mention of dislike of new headteacher .Two years on, has it changed . Another thing that I came across was need of extra tutoring out of school? Any truth in this ? Current parents please help .
jjfish

Post by jjfish »

My son started at St. Olaves in September and I had the same concerns that you all have.
He says the older students are all helpful and nice to the younger students. He enjoys all of his lessons and has good relationship with his class mates and year 7's in other classes. He looks forward to going to school every morning! He hasn't witnessed any bullying or racial issues in the school. The teachers are very good at teaching and explain subjects very well for them to understand and are very encouraging and supporting. He's loving every minute of it. My son has not needed any extra tuition support outside of school but has got top marks in most of his assessment so far. We are happy and my son is happy we decided to send him to this school.
Please PM me if you have any more questions or concerns.
robofish

Post by robofish »

I'll add my experience too: my son has settled in just fine. Occasionally moans about the amount of homework but really it isn't too onerous. Some nights he gets more than others, some nights nothing at all.

He is enjoying most lessons with one or two exceptions. He is actively involved in drama, writing, science, movie making, history, choir and rugby clubs (as well as playing an instrument) so gets little down time.

The PTA is pretty active and the events we have gone to so far have been enjoyable.

I asked about the head, and there has been no negative comment about him ("we hardly see him", "he once ate a tarantula" ....). I personally find him quite entertaining and he is committed to the school. He regularly attends the out-of-hours events and I've even seen him prowling the rugby touchlines on a Saturday morning.

Assessment is very strong here, all boys have been assessed in all subjects and set targets. It really is an impressive system. With two new science rooms being built the school is set to improve.

One observation though: they seem strapped for cash. Parents are constantly asked for donations & contributions. Given the education & extra curricular stuff on offer we are more than happy to assist where we can, it is just a shame that the government values schools so little that budgets are constantly under attack.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I hear there is a huge shortfall, but not sure how it came about. Something to do with them being a partially funded church of England school?
Parents are asked to contribute £50 per month.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.